seanl82

Seanl82's ringer Storm

4 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Massive work going on here Sean fair play. 

Hate to say but I have seen this nice bit of kit 🤪

https://phenixengineering.com/shop/phenix-engineering-stainless-steel-clutch-line-vw-02a-right-hand-drive-rhd/

Nice. Where does the banjo go - there isn't one on the master or slave cylinder is there? There is a goodridge Flexi and hard pipe available through heritage for £71, but wondering if I can remake the hard line in kunifer - just the coiled part may be difficult - with the stainless fittings I've just bought (ordered a couple spare), and just get a custom HEL line made for £26. 🤔

26 minutes ago, seanl82 said:

Nice. Where does the banjo go - there isn't one on the master or slave cylinder is there? There is a goodridge Flexi and hard pipe available through heritage for £71, but wondering if I can remake the hard line in kunifer - just the coiled part may be difficult - with the stainless fittings I've just bought (ordered a couple spare), and just get a custom HEL line made for £26. 🤔

Im not familiar with this area but but it states early so yours might be late so different - looks a good kit. As you have mentioned though Hel, cant go wrong with them brilliant quality company. P.s Hel throw in stainless steel banjo bolts and washers with any fuel line they make - just ask after they have given you a price and they throw in free, they are not cheap to buy them banjo ouch. 

Edited by Keyo

One step forward, two steps back.

After dropping the subframe again to fit copper crush washers to the PAS pipes to rack, it turns out there shouldn't be any! I'm positive I removed a pair from there, but they wouldn't fit on one of the pipes. Checked the originals I was sure I took off, and sure enough they don't fit either. Checked ETKA & the Bentley and it only shows the little green O-rings. No idea where they've come from then! The pump banjo ones have been replaced and I have 3 left, so must have got confused and they came in a pack of 5! Anyway, fitted the subframe again, torqued it all back up to what I think are the correct tension (other thread), and put the engine mount bolts back in. Put the hubs on loosely and thought I was making progress ready to start making up brake lines tomorrow as all the bits arrived yesterday. Last thing left to do on that was reconnect the steering column to the rack. Noooo! It just won't go on. I'm gonna need to drop the subframe again a bit to get it on properly. Pissed off is an understatement. The flipping boot makes life twice as difficult but there's just not enough flex to get the splines in straight. I'll then have the task of getting the pinch bolt in which I know is going to be fun!  My neck is killing me from tensing up whilst trying to get it all together too, so I'm a bit fed up! 🤬 I was planning to take some photos today too.  🤔

Edited by seanl82

I had the same issue with the steering rack, absolute pain in the ....

Luckily for me I had someone to help (Goldie) and we hadn’t torqued the bolts up yet. We used the lower torque settings on the later page in the Bentley .

Next is the power steering pipes, which I’d held off as I couldn’t find those crush washers 🤣, nothing to stop me now 👍

1 hour ago, easypops said:

I had the same issue with the steering rack, absolute pain in the ....

Luckily for me I had someone to help (Goldie) and we hadn’t torqued the bolts up yet. We used the lower torque settings on the later page in the Bentley .

Next is the power steering pipes, which I’d held off as I couldn’t find those crush washers 🤣, nothing to stop me now 👍

It's difficult doing it all on your Tod like me. 

Thanks for the encouragement and understanding, can always count on you mate. 😉😆

Chin up Sean,I took the rear bumper off the storm a couple of weeks ago to find this 😭

B4C13D8B-066B-436B-8B9B-1F611782EFB6.jpeg

Same area, I’m in the middle of repairing about 5 different holes of varying size........horrible but essential job

7F30F5AA-CE1F-4BAA-9916-8D3C2EA09CE6.jpeg

Ok, finally got round to taking some photos. Everything is back together and fitted now apart from the brake MC which is away at Pastparts for refurb. Hopefully should have it back in the next week or so.

Brake lines are Kunifer with stainless fittings all round, Goodridge black hoses with stainless fittings, every nut, bolt, clip, washer, bearing, bush, cable etc has been replaced with new. All metal work has been either replaced with new, or blasted & powdercoated. The underside was cleaned within an inch of its life but after doing the spot repairs around the mounting studs for the clips, I wasn't happy with the attempt at feathering in the fresh underseal and giving it the factory look overspray so I just went ahead and spray painted the whole lot. I've refitted the factory side repeaters, rear wiper, and replaced the centre console for a better condition one. The little rod clip on the drivers side for the door pin/door mechanism had broken too, so that's been replaced but moving it all around and coupled with the new door seals I fitted after the respray has made it a bit firmer when pulling the door handle. I've ordered a pair of stainless handle repair kits as a bit of a preemptive fix, as I don't want to be having to rip the door card to shreds if it does break!

I've also fitted a spare inlet manifold that had been vapour blasted and replaced a ton of nuts, bolts, pipe clamps, clutch master & slave cylinder in the engine bay so it's looking good in there. Just need a bit of a clean to remove the dust on the chassis legs. I've had all the lights & grille out so it's nice and clean behind them. I Have a new accelerator cable on its way too after it snapped at Bruntingthorpe a few years back, so was being held on at the peddle with a bit of choc block! Lol.  First time the cover has been fully off in about two years, and I never had a cover when it was in the old garage so paint is looking a little flat, but nothing a good machine polish won't fix! All new filters & fluids have also been put in, and the BMC filter has been cleaned and oiled.

As soon as I get the MC it'll be fitted, brake fluid put in and all bled, put back on its wheels (that also have new Yoko boots & genuine centre caps) then it'll be time to fire up (or at least attempt to) for the first time in almost 4 years! A bit nervous if I'm honest. I'll take the fuel pump relay out and build oil pressure first, but I'm just hoping the fuel pump or ABS pump hasn't seized up as it's been so long.

Anyway, pics! 😁

IMG_20200621_085409.jpg

IMG_20200621_085433.jpg

IMG_20200621_085842.jpg

IMG_20200621_085653.jpg

IMG_20200621_090153.jpg

IMG_20200621_090224.jpg

IMG_20200621_090310.jpg

IMG_20200621_090329.jpg

IMG_20200621_090604.jpg

IMG_20200621_090648.jpg

IMG_20200621_090655.jpg

Oooo that does all look very nice. Definitely worth all of the effort you have put in. 

absolutely superb development there Sean, credit to your efforts and attention to details.  I know the feeling of nerves - i get it every time i've done some engine mods or the car has been standing after its SORN period is over...but i have no doubt yours will be fine, its practically a better-than-new car in many areas  

Thanks gents, pretty pleased with it myself. 😁 Certainly has been a long time coming though! Had to keep her indoors happy and concentrate on the house for a couple of years though. 🙄 Ooh, I can upload more now. Couple of cheeky interior ones too. 😉

IMG_20200621_090718.jpg

IMG_20200621_090744.jpg

IMG_20200621_090735.jpg

IMG_20200621_091306.jpg

IMG_20200621_091133.jpg

IMG_20200621_091159.jpg

IMG_20200621_092058.jpg

IMG_20200621_092116.jpg

IMG_20200621_092124.jpg

22 minutes ago, easypops said:

Looks absolutely fantastic mate, great work 😁😎

Thanks mate. 👍

It does look nice and tidy. Good look with the commissioning 🤞. Can’t be much more to stop you. 

Well done Sean, you’ve done amazing with the car. It’s a million miles from the car it was when you got it.

look forward to seeing it again sometime!

13 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

It does look nice and tidy. Good look with the commissioning 🤞. Can’t be much more to stop you. 

Thanks Shaun. Not much hasn't been replaced or refurbished TBF! Aside from the engine internals which haven't needed touching - it ran really well, had good compression and made great figures on the Dyno run at Stealth a few years (and only about 3k miles) back, and the fuel pump. I think those are the only components, or even nuts & bolts that I haven't layed my mitts on!

12 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Well done Sean, you’ve done amazing with the car. It’s a million miles from the car it was when you got it.

look forward to seeing it again sometime!

Thanks again Chris. Hopefully see you and your new stablemate in the near future. 👍

Progress, progress!! Man, you did a good job! It's all looking pristine everywhere! That must be exciting to get to this point after 4 years...
Soon, I will be dropping my subframe as well, any tips for me on reconnecting that steering column to the rack?
Keep us updated mate, pictures were amazing to look at!

1 hour ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Progress, progress!! Man, you did a good job! It's all looking pristine everywhere! That must be exciting to get to this point after 4 years...
Soon, I will be dropping my subframe as well, any tips for me on reconnecting that steering column to the rack?
Keep us updated mate, pictures were amazing to look at!

Thank buddy, house move & renovation took priority which is why it has taken so long. I only had an advisory on rear brake pipes at MOT before I took it off the road as well! 

As for refitting the rack, just make sure the steering wheel and rack are centralised so the column and spline line up, and raise the subframe up about 2" from the top. You should then be able to manoeuvre the column into the spline with a bit of fiddling, raise the rack another inch and make sure the column is fully home before putting the bolt in. It'll only go on one way as there is a flat part on it, so you should be fine. 👍

Thanks mate much appreciated! I'll see how it goes...
Ya, I hear you. I bough a fixer upper house and it's taking all my free time!
Keep us posted! Cheers

Oooh it's back!!!

It's been a long time coming (6 week turnaround) but finished work a day early so fitted already. Gonna fill it with fluid and bleed tomorrow, and need to get some fuel before the first attempt at firing it up! Exciting times! 😁

IMG_20200709_171929.jpg

IMG_20200709_171939.jpg