James.

Wiper linkage

I had another batch of these made up to suit the circlip option, and have given them ago. They're not entirely satisfactory though:

1: I miscalculated the measurement and the circlip slightly deforms the bush. This isn't a major issue, but not ideal.

DSC_5048.JPG

2) I didn't allow enough tolerance on the circlip slot, so that the circlip pushes the flanges up when inserted. I'd be a bit concerned after a while it might shear off the flange:

DSC_5051.JPG

3) And as it just slots in, it's not really tight enough in the whole, so the whole bush rotates in the link arm - including the circlip. We don't really want metal rubbing on metal.

So, I put my original push in versions back on the car. These still seem to work well, and took a good deal of effort to remove so they are pretty secure. One end had very slightly pulled out the hole, which I think is due to the angle of the wiper linkage at full extension, but didn't look like it was going to move any more. And at any rate it is in the direction that means the link arm wouldn't actually come off. 

So, I might revisit the circlip version. Correct the mis measurement, and increase the size of flange on top. I also might give the middle section a bit of a flange so it compresses into the link arm hole and will hold fast.

It's always nice to hear how it is going. And having the balls to say when you aren't happy with it 👍

I was also going to add, if anyone does want a pair of the workable push in types in the interim (without the circlip) then please let me know and I can see about getting a batch of those done. 

I think we have a winner!

I redesigned the circlip option above to fit the spring type of circlip, as the sizes weren't really working with the e-clip type, and that has worked a lot better. Helps I got the measurements correct as well!

I widened the diameter of the shaft as well, so that is now a good tight fit in the link arm, so they are held fast and don't spin in the hole.

Everything goes together nicely, and the cirlips appear to hold everything in place fully. Interestingly the ball joint has a free-er range of movement than the previous push in type. I am not sure why this the case, unless the push in type were squashed slightly by being pushed in. They aren't loose though, so the linkages are all still nice and tight.

They are grey rather than white because I used MJF printing instead of SLS as MJF apparently handles fine detail better. I can't say I can see a lot of difference though. Being grey they also appear rougher than the white ones, but there isn't really any difference. 

I haven't put this back on the car yet, so they haven't been fully tested, but I can't see why there would be any issues. Once I have put them back on and give them a bit of a test I will put them up for sale on here. Don't want to offer them up just yet until I have checked them to my satisfaction. 

Photos below:

DSC_5215.JPG

DSC_5217.JPGDSC_5216.JPG

DSC_5224.JPGDSC_5222.JPG

great development and thanks for the update.  As above, its good to see proper commitment to developing a good solution, which you really have shown amply

Definitely looks a great engineered solution to the problem. We'll done in getting this far, fantastic work

Great work! Hope they work out long term as it's these solutions that help keep our cars on the road.

I've been working on my own solution and just last week got it to work but it's not as straight forward as just swapping out the bushes. Making up the tie rod is easy but having to do other changes makes it not really viable as a solution for the masses.

20230708_163526.jpg

That bush looks great. Would be cool if you can do a run once you are happy. Got a new motor to put in mine and a bush refurb at the same time would be just the ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Big well done from me as well- not least for having the patience to get this far; and for not just stopping at "it'll do" level!

Would definitely be up for 3 cars' worth, please, when you do get to making these available 👍🤞 

Got the wipers back on the car and all seems to work fine with no slop on the fastest setting. I have some videos of it working which I'd like to share but they won't upload. Not sure if there is something special I need to do for this?

Anyhow, ideally I would like to make sure it works OK under real conditions with a drive and some rain but really I can't see how there would be any issue as the previous lot were absolutely  fine and these aren't really any different apart from the circlip.

All sounds really good. Given all your previous fettling, i am happy to take your word without the need for a video... but given current weather I suspect you won't have to wait too long for some rain to do a real world test as well!

Well, they got a bit of a test in real world conditions yesterday and all seemed well. I had the previous set on since Jan for a few months through the winter and didn't come across any issues so I think we are all good.

I'll put a post up in the parts for sale section.

Posted (edited)

Sorry I never knew this was replied to . How did you get on with the testing of thes bushes? Incase you want to get them machined, PTFE is far easier to machine than Nylon and better for holding tight tolerances - Nylon is a pain to machine.  I am also aware that 3D printing cannot achieve really tight tolerances.

Let me know if you need any assistance I have CAD, and an engineering background.

I could also try and try and find a machineshop..... I could ask a few folk that I know

Edited by Wild-Animal

Thanks They've been on my car and running well for the last 6 months or so. Had a few runs in the recent rainy weather and they appear to be holding tight. haven't noticed any wiper slop at all really. 

I've sent the first batch out to people (see parts for sale thread) although there's been no feedback from others as to how these are working, so not sure if anyone has fitted them yet. I've just had a second batch made up as well. The 3D printed ones seem to work OK, although as you say the finish isn't as good as if they were machined. If you do know of any machine shops that might do an improved version that might last longer I'd be happy to hear them! 

Hi Oneohtwo,

I could try and send out the engineering drawing to machineshops that I know off. I am not sure if they will be interested in the work, as the batch size is so small, and I would need to see the geometry, as the internal reduises might be challenging unless they use a CNC lathe. I will end you a PM, and we can get the ball rolling.

CM