mic_VR

mic_VR's VR - The Awakening!

Cheers gents. Get the feeling putting it back in will be interesting but so far so good. If I get a chance I'll do more in the evenings as well.

Anyone recommend any particular loom wrap? I might as well tidy it up if I can. May also try to fix a couple of rattles if anyone recommends some adhesive foam?

Nicely done, it's good to spread it out sometimes I think, it will feel like a quick job when you get the matrix!

Tesa tape is the one to go for, cheap on ebay ;)

Cheers guys

Sean - if I can't get any I'll take you up on that, but I'll replace of course.

I don't envy you doing that job on your narrow street!

Good opportunity to replace any missing clips and felt line some bits of plastic that rub and rattle over bumps!

I suppose at least it happened before the *really* cold weather sets in! Better now than mid december when it's snowing and icy as frick outside!

Cheers gents. Get the feeling putting it back in will be interesting but so far so good. If I get a chance I'll do more in the evenings as well.

Anyone recommend any particular loom wrap? I might as well tidy it up if I can. May also try to fix a couple of rattles if anyone recommends some adhesive foam?

My tried and trusted anti rattle and sound deadening weapons are dealer loom tape, john lewis self adhesive felt (on a roll) and foam stuff from this place - http://www.efoam.co.uk/acoustic.html

Good work on the matrix, done it myself, not a good job but a satisfying one! Your foam looked like new!

Love the Rota's, this is what I'm after really for mine but nothing like this ever comes up for sale. Looks great

I managed to stop alot of the interior rattles by removing the interior and..... putting a roll cage in :') I jest, haven't quite got that far yet. Are you driving it through winter mate? I don't want to make you jealous but I'm currently crusing round in a yaris 4d4

Well it seems time for a little update on my thread. Basically with work and moving home I've not been able to get on here much, even though during that time I've been 'forced' to work on the car...

So what have I been doing? Well...

1) I managed to finish swapping out the heater matrix, and now I have fully functional heating without steamed up windows. The whole thing was a PITA but after a fair amount of swearing, some cut up hands and arms, and a bit of loom tape it's all back together, working and rattle free.... so I'm quite happy with that!

2) I finally got tired to driving it around like an old dear due to the fuel mixture leaning off too much at the top end, so off to Stealth we went for a little day of fun.

First off Vince decided to clear as many of the ECU errors as possible to get down to the things causing the running problems.

This involved firstly doing some wizardry on the laptop to code out some errors for SAI and lambda faults. This left us with the ones that were needing a physical fix.... i.e: the fact my MAF appeared to have no temp sensor in it so the ECU couldn't read intake temps. MAF off, steal sensor from old RS4 MAF, fix in and re-fit.

Then we needed to trick the ECU into seeing the SAI setup with a relay wiring and mounting it in the scuttle.

All this took a few hours, maybe more, but by early afternoon we were ready for a remap! And at this point I was in for a surprise....

BHP.jpg

torque.jpg

That's right. It made 239.8bhp. I think even Vince was shocked! 201 lb/ft of torque isn't great but a quick test drive and I'm pretty happy, a few quid lighter, and on my way home :cheers:

3) It turns out my happiness wasn't going to be long lived. On the way home the appears to be mis-firing and it's getting worse.... but I managed to limp it home and by the time I get there the car will hardly run at idle but under load seems reasonably OK. But the cat is glowing, which is very disturbing at night parked on a road as I thought for a second it was on fire!

"What was wrong?" I hear you ask. Well it turns out that the lambda's weren't working before, and the car was running in a 'safe' limp mode. The fixing of the various errors had kicked the lambdas into life, unleashing an additional 40bhp, and they'd started reading again....... but instead of reading 2 different banks of cylinders (as per a MK4) I had both my lambdas in one pipe so the ECU is suddenly seeing 6 cylinders worth of gases, the same readings on both the hot and cold banks and therefore trying to adapt the fuel mix to suit and basically giving me this...

IMG_20150219_1226281.jpg

3 cylinders being leaned right off, and 3 being enriched. And with the long term trims being retained every time I stopped and started the car it got worse until I had the very real prospect of having to leave it at my old house when I moved.

But thankfully Vince came to the rescue again. And with laptop in car to reset the ECU every 5 miles I managed to move it to the new place where I've now finally got my own garage to work on it.

4) I now had to get the lambdas moved into each side of the downpipe. This I thought would be dead easy. Downpipe off, drill, weld new bosses, refit downpipe and lambdas... and boom! a fully working car!

Well that 'easy' job has taken me a month to sort on my drive. Between bolts being impossible to get at, the worlds strongest exhaust putty supplied with the techtonics exhaust, having to remove far more of the engine than I intended, broken or blunted drill bits/tungsten carbide burrs and full on hole cutters, broken exhaust clamps, trying to align an exhaust with a car on axle stands and generally having to do the majority of it between the hours of 8 and 11pm... I've been pretty close to torching the thing!

Thankfully I got some much needed assistance from Sean_Jaymo for a couple of days, and the use of a local garage to save me taking an axle grinder to the downpipe, so it's all back up and running once more. A few more days of getting niggles sorted and it's performing admirably again.

I have to say the last few weeks have easily been the most frustrating of my Corrado ownership, to the point where even now as I write this I'm tempted to move on to something newer after 9 years (give or take) in a C.

But with summer coming up, and the possibility of giving it a good clean and polish, maybe the love will come back....... ;)

Good up date ! . Well done for getting it sorted . I know what you mean about torching it lol , when I could not sort out my starting issue I came close to it .

Rob, to be honest it would've gone last week if it wasn't for my inner accountant telling me it'd be madness to spend as much as I have just to spend more on a newer car when I only do 4k miles a year.

Will see how it runs over the summer.

Rog, the motor is a 2.8 24v (bde) lump. Only 50k on it so it seems to run quite well. The techtonics exhaust seems to add a lot to the flow of gases, and the torque could be improved with better intake air management.

Matt, its definitely been a trying few weeks. Gutted I couldn't make the RR day but I'm hoping I can at least start to enjoy it now.

Good work Mic. Sounds like it's been a challenging few weeks with the old girl but glad you persevered! Not sure what it is about heater matrix's at the moment but 2cc's just went unexpectedly on his VR6 the other day too, so he's been tackling that all week. Wretched bloody design from Volkswagen!!

We'll organise a meet just reinvigorate your mojo Mic!

A mojo meet? :lol: Thanks again for your help mate.

Jim - I guess they're all getting to that age now where plastics are getting brittle. Mine was over 20 years old and had only just started to fail, it didn't go bang big style. My advice to anyone doing interior work though would be to change it as a preventative measure.

Don't we need to re-do the Rutland meet that we postponed anyway? ;)

We definitely should mate. Are you using yours now or is the Fiesta on duty all the time now?

Mine has just been reinsured and taxed again so I can use it.. but can't exactly say I'm enjoying it :| But if it was a Corrado meet, I'd bring it along.

This is the problem. After the relative luxury of a modern car the Corrado is finally starting to feel its age.

What do you think you'll do in the long term?