mic_VR

mic_VR's VR - The Awakening!

Actually, sod the wheels, I know they are epic and all that (touch of bias here!) but it's the brakes I love!

Damn it Mic, the car hasn't made it through the MOT yet and I'm already wanting bigger brakes!

Cheers guys. I'm still not 100% on them but I think they'll be staying for the moment.

Actually, sod the wheels, I know they are epic and all that (touch of bias here!) but it's the brakes I love!

Damn it Mic, the car hasn't made it through the MOT yet and I'm already wanting bigger brakes!

Can't remember what page it's on but this is one of my fave pics. Great wheels and show off the brakes perfectly (more than the CHs at least)

Rotason.jpg

This is a little confusing Mic you obviously like wheel's that show off your brake's (nowt wrong with that) why then did you buy CH's? Me I like big brake's too especially when you are packing an R32 under the bonnet but I'm not really keen on wheels that show off the brake's I prefer a more subdued look but it's there if you need it. Getting the right wheel's is not easy if it was me the rota's not cos I dislike the ch's but the rota's are cool and you don't see alot of them I think the ch's have become like the recaro seat debate a bit more hype than anything.

Hear what you're saying James, it's a tough choice and I do like the Motorsport look which is why in the past I've had team dynamics, the rota's and now the CHs... All with a Motorsport theme. I'm still not entirely sure what I'll do in the long run. Waiting to hear from AP about the possibility of going up to 330mm discs, which you'll be able to see behind pretty much anything! :lol:

Agree on the Rota's to an extent. I do love the CH's, but the Rota's are pretty cool - as clumpy says you don't see them on a Corrado very often and they give the car more of a purposeful / business like appearance rather than the CH which is a bit more classy.

I'd totally understand it whichever wheel you stuck with longer term as they're both great but for different reasons!

Hear what you're saying James, it's a tough choice and I do like the Motorsport look which is why in the past I've had team dynamics, the rota's and now the CHs... All with a Motorsport theme. I'm still not entirely sure what I'll do in the long run. Waiting to hear from AP about the possibility of going up to 330mm discs, which you'll be able to see behind pretty much anything! :lol:

Of course :) I prefer people not to know what the brake's are as they tend then to be a dead give away if they can't see the brake's say at the traffic light's (I do not condone street racing in any form :rolleyes:) People tend to think you haven't got anything special and don't try as hard which of course to a severe spanking which depending on situation and possible DI88HEAD involved is rather pleasing :spiderman:

Those Rotas are Advan RS clones, but the Advans are in a different league in weight and finish. I had a set on an old Supra.

21012009142.jpg

I suspect they only come in 5x114 stud pattern though, and they are at least twice the price of the Rotas.

Keep both man!

This Sean is a possibility but I have done this before and ended up with about 3/4 set's I never use but it is a possibility for Mic all depend's on his thought's.

Keep both man!

Definitely a possibility!

Those Advan RS are very similar, and the rota's are a very 'jap' style wheel. Although they were middle of the road price wise they are really well made and very light. Can't remember if I weighed one with tyre but the wheels themselves are only 9kg each.

i believe the Rotas are around 7kg, aren't they Mic? Could be totally wrong though, I've never owned a set.

My TT comps are 9kg

I don't know about rotas but I know ch's with tyres are approaching 18kg! No Motorsport wheel really! Don't know what they are bare though and they are pretty big wheels at 8.5j!

Depends on the look your going for, I dont find the CH's that agrressive especially in silver. They are too sublte, the Rota's suit that look much better but dare I say it in silver.

Mmmmm Mic those AP brakes are droolsome!!!!!!

want want want lol

can i ask where you sourced them? was it direct from AP or via a reseller? & what specs are they? thanks :D

Depends on the look your going for, I dont find the CH's that agrressive especially in silver. They are too sublte, the Rota's suit that look much better but dare I say it in silver.

That isn't a bad idea. Now the Rota's are off I was thinking about correcting a few of the kerb marks but maybe a full refresh would be an idea. The only thing with silver is I'm not sure how well it works on really thin spoked wheels..... anyone any good with photoshop?!? :lol:

Mmmmm Mic those AP brakes are droolsome!!!!!!

want want want lol

can i ask where you sourced them? was it direct from AP or via a reseller? & what specs are they? thanks :D

My kit is this one -http://www.motorsport-tools.com/ap-racing-vw-golf-mk3-vr6corrado-1992on-big-brake-kit-4-pot-1.html but I actually got mine from someone on Edition, one of the rare times when I've actually managed to reply to a thread before anyone else! They used to sell them direct from AP but don't seem to list them anymore on their website. They are not cheap new but you do sometimes see the calipers pop up on eBay. And if you get some you need to modify the bottom ball joint slightly so they don't rub on full lock.

They are awesome fun. With the 90mm splitter and the old shocks/springs combo I could catch the splitter under really heavy braking.

Sean, Hasan - If I get a chance I'll weigh one of each wheel to see what the difference is.

Edited by mic_VR

The discs are 304mm, and I could change them to 330's just with different carriers and rotors but I'm not sure ap sell the carriers separately. Might send them a mail. In comparison the Rotas had acres of clearance.

AP don't make the bells or carriers, BG Developments do. I contacted them directly when I wanted some custom bells for my 330 AP setup and they sent me a pair of bells of superb quality for a very reasonable sum.

If you stick with AP rotors (and you'd be a plum not to), the jump in braking power from 304 to 330mm is massive. As with all uprated brakes, it's the leverage of the disc and the pad compound that make the real difference.

As for the wheels, I find them boring tbh mate. Sorry to go against the grain but I much prefer your Rotas and as you say, you don't have any brake clearance issues with those! I don't deliberately steer myself away from things that are popular. If something has a form and function I find very agreeable, I'll go with it, even if every cat and dog in country has one. But CHs.... I just don't see it. As the OEM wheel for the MK5 ED30, perhaps, but on other cars....nah. They look dull.

AP don't make the bells or carriers, BG Developments do. I contacted them directly when I wanted some custom bells for my 330 AP setup and they sent me a pair of bells of superb quality for a very reasonable sum.

If you stick with AP rotors (and you'd be a plum not to), the jump in braking power from 304 to 330mm is massive. As with all uprated brakes, it's the leverage of the disc and the pad compound that make the real difference.

As for the wheels, I find them boring tbh mate. Sorry to go against the grain but I much prefer your Rotas and as you say, you don't have any brake clearance issues with those! I don't deliberately steer myself away from things that are popular. If something has a form and function I find very agreeable, I'll go with it, even if every cat and dog in country has one. But CHs.... I just don't see it. As the OEM wheel for the MK5 ED30, perhaps, but on other cars....nah. They look dull.

Your problem mate is you're afraid to say what you think! :lol: But in all seriousness, I hear what you're saying and I'm thinking some silver Rota's might not be a million miles away from the look you got with those white ones..... and that was a great look.

With the carriers, do you think they'd be able to make me some to push the calipers out to 330mm or would I need to get the drawings from somewhere/send them my current 304mm ones?

So managed to sneak out to a mini meet this evening. My mate in his mk4 and I were the only water-cooled guys there but the 'rado got a good reception and a few guys came and chatted about him. One guy even proclaimed 'that's what a corrado should look like' :lol:

Anyway, I know what you guys are like so some rubbish phone pics for you.

9019FE41-378B-4F38-954A-3899B12DB955.jpg

C99AFA60-B8E5-44BA-BEF8-E11CAC3CE2D8.jpg

8F1AB74F-1005-476F-A8B6-5278349BCA4C.jpg

Looking good Mic, did you sort out the fronts scrubbing?

Also, how about painting the calipers to show them up a bit more

Not yet. But I did take some arch to floor measurements and the car is definitely lower on the driver side front. Both passenger side gaps are 60cm arch to floor, but driver side rear is 59cm and front is 58cm. So plan is to bring them all either up or down to 59cm as this seems a good compromise.

Don't really want to paint the calipers as they're original at the moment and in really good condition