tim20vt

fully rebuilt 20vt

i give my 16v a new coat of paint,iv been goin to do it for 2 years but the wing rusted thru so its forced me to get on with it,2 years is a bit lame if ya can do it yourself heres the progress so far,im even goin to push the boat out and paint the borbet cs i have in my garden :)

27082007039.jpg

27082007040.jpg

28082007045.jpg

28082007049.jpg

30082007053.jpg

30082007052.jpg

30082007060.jpg

Edited by tim20vt

nice one mate 8)

the guy who painted mine has told me if i go down on an evenin he will show me the ropes on how to spay etc :D

so next year sometime i will be purchasin a car that is mechanically sound an just requires cosmetics to have a blast myself !!

Nice one, looks exactly the same as mine, would really like to learn spraying-always thought it was one of those jobs where you can gain real satisfaction whith what you have achieved. 8)

Keep posting pics if you get chance.

Rich.

i used to work on old beetles and campers i had so ya get used to welding and filling etc,i only debaged the rear, the smooth bumper isnt for me,just done the doors today so it shud be finished mid week,if anyones wondering why i havnt taken the glass out,you can feed cable in between the seal and body to hold the seal off so the paint will go underneath so it shudnt peel later best solution without needing autoglass etc.

il take sum pics when its finished,id be more than happy to answer any questions on body stuff if it will help anyone wanting to try it,i dont paint for a job but wouldnt recomend painting 2k in ya garage without the proper gear.it could make ya ill:)

02092007002.jpg

you can feed cable in between the seal and body to hold the seal off so the paint will go underneath so it shudnt peel later best solution without needing autoglass etc.

That a good idea,how do you do it? do you push wire between the seal and body just to lift it enough to get paint under?

yea you can normaly fit normal plug flex type cable,im no electrician :) in there then tuck ya tape over the seal so it sits back on top of the cable,then just make sure you etch under the seal,id still take the glass out if you had rust or was changing colour :) takes a while to do but can save removing the glass

the C is looking great, must be very satisfying admiring your handiwork :) what do you use after youve sprayed to polish up the paint?

Great job 8)

Check the link below for centre caps

http://www.raceandroad.com/acatalog/Borbet_Centre_Caps.html

need some like that for mine- is that price each? £7.50 for a 6cm bit of plastic is a bit steep if it is :shock:

ive seen whole sets for about 15 euros on german ebay but heard lots of horror stories about german ebay :(

Looks great dude! Good work 8) 8)

It's amazing how good something that simple looks!

i dont think thats all the centre cap just a stick on badge im missing the whole cap.

na i dont paint for anyone else mate .

wet sand after paint 1500,2000 grade wet and dry

then farcela g3 and then g10 with a buffer and water

i need to buff it again shud come up even better now it will be fully hard

thanks :D bit of a pain doing it but worth it when its finished :D

i dont think thats all the centre cap just a stick on badge im missing the whole cap.

They are the proper caps, thats where I bought mine :)

started to buff it up now its hard :) turned out the borbets were bent so i had to scrap them. gray leather next,then the 1.8t

:D

27102007037.jpg

non buffed side

and the buffed one

27102007039.jpg

27102007036.jpg

27102007034.jpg

27102007035.jpg

27102007040.jpg

iv just finished buffing the whole thing,worth it but after 2 days goin at it i feel dead :)

now i need to buy sum hide and do my seats :)

once ya start you just have to keep goin dont ya :D