boost monkey

Project Plum - The Plan of Attack

so are you doing all the hard brake lines then. I didn't do that one that runs above the exhaust section as mine seemed in pretty good condition compared to the to others. Looked a bit of a git to get to as well (main reason) :lol:

Yeah, the end that goes into the BPR snapped off so I kinda have to replace it! :censored: and yeah, it's a mofo to get at.

good to see you back on the place although your todo list is growing by the day.

Oh well,get wrenching. :lol:

The list keeps getting bigger! It's adding up into the hundreds already and it's not even modded! :nuts:

It did feel soooo nice to drive back in Oct when i took it to get the new rack aligned though... I wanna drive it more!!

Yeah, I think they're addicted. Seems they need 3mths+ a year on them :lol: :lol:

I think mine has been out of action for about 12ish weeks over the last year now, so it's about average I guess.

"Corrado - because you're a glutton for punishment"

Hi matey!

but if you fancy making your way over to Cowley, no doubt ProdigalSon and I could have a mini-meet!! ha ha. PM me if you like.

I'll PM you in a bit! A mini meet would be great!!

Crazy rantings yeah, maybe a sprinkling of help?! I'm surprised the good CF mods let me have my crazy little corner! :lol:

I'm doing the dangerous stuff today and pricing up parts... eek :eek:

If your after calipers. I jst found out the dealers take your old ones for scrap and take it off the total. but there aint many new calipers left

hey jon, glad to hear you're making progress on the plum again :)

i hopefully have a load of those little retainer washers for the heatshielding lying around if you want 'em. (they are pretty cheap from the dealers though if you're in a hurry).

hope to pop up sometime again and see it all working before long. i might even have my own machine sorted by then (maybe :? )

Keep it up man, I enjoy reading your updates (it gives me the feeling of things to come)....

Cheers,

Tom

real good thread. been doing same as you over the last year but unfortunately going no further with it.

i have a fuel pump assembly with new accumaulator, filter & new fuel pipes. it needs the seals renewed at the filter to fuel joins. the plastic surround that wraps around the accumulator is broken but should super glue ok. looking to sell the whole assembled unit. if your interested i can post some pics.

steve

Steve, you have PM!

And I have some choices to make. After rejigging my budget, I am 99.2% sure that I'm not going to reinsure/tax/MOT the car in March. This is because I won't have done everything I want to before it gets tested, and I wouldn't be surprised if it fails. By using my Insurance/Tax/MOT money (~£650 with 6mth tax) I obviously have more money than I would otherwise to actually 'finish' (what does that word mean? :scratch: ) the car (silicone hoses, new/exchange G60 brakes + discs + pads, get the PAS all working perfectly, MAYBE even sort the low compression issue!) and I'll be much happier with the end result, which in turn will be maintenance free for at least a week (OMG).

Besides, if all goes well, I may get a summer job as per usual and that will provide I/T/M money which would be nice.

So yeah, it's on the stands for the foreseeable future, but that's better than bodging it back together (plus I'm really getting into cycling at the mo! :camp: :camp: )

The pics will still keep coming though :salute:

image033yt7.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's right! 21gears of pure PowAh... The semi-slicks went on 2 days ago, those tyres have way too much rolling resistance.

p.s. shame on you for thinking I was serious :nuts:

i wouldn't dare think you were serious about molesting a perfectly good carrera with 26" wheels...

But you did spark my curiosity :lol:

By jove!! i literally just looked through all 63 bloomin pages!!

some fair work has gone on with your C.

good job mate!

p.s was very very bored and the whole thread was pretty good like!

some of it cracked me up .... LOL styleeeee

image033yt7.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's right! 21gears of pure PowAh... The semi-slicks went on 2 days ago, those tyres have way too much rolling resistance.

Marginally quicker than the valver?

image033yt7.jpg

Marginally quicker than the valver?

and a bit more reliable maybe?!??

Ha ha good work Ted! And thanks Stin :grin: not easy on the pennies the SLC gives me whilst at uni :sad:

Andy, at this rate you'll be back in a *whispers* Corrado *whispers* before the year is up! You just can't keep away :wink:

Just about to post today's update - that's right.

Andy, at this rate you'll be back in a *whispers* Corrado *whispers* before the year is up! You just can't keep away :wink:

Absolutely no chance, I'm afraid matey :( Really enjoying the Skud at the mo though- it's making for a pretty good replacement- putting out plenty of power. Doesn't have the character or the looks of a C, but it's pretty damn good for a cheap, fast family car. It's actually faster than any of my VR6s (in a straight line). The mid-range torque after the remap/downpipe is fantastic 8)

So, I finished uni at 11am today and decided to work on the C as the weather is reasonable (dry and not very cold!), plus I was starting to lose motivation.

image016az3.jpg

I took the backbox off a couple of weeks ago, think I posted up about that. Not much had been done since then.

image017yz9.jpg

I had to work on getting the midbox heatshielding off, but I don't think those spigot rings had ever come off! :shock: cue the wire brush and needlenoses...

image019it5.jpg

Quick shot of the main front-to-rear brake lines, help much appreciated by Pete_griff about 3 months ago! God, I can be a slacker sometimes!

image020hk5.jpg

They're coming off slowly... although the heatshield is a bit brittle. Has to be the original I would think.

image023ro7.jpg

Decided to drop the exhaust down a few mm (instead of removing the whole centre section) to get the clearance needed to remove the heatshield from behind it.

image024fn3.jpg

Heatshield off, woop! Looks fairly tidy, but then again it's not exactly a major rotting location. Brake line to be replaced is now visible.

image026ul6.jpg

The end of the brake line in question, and the dubious looking fuel pump :pale:

image028bp3.jpg

image029fo4.jpg

image030fs9.jpg

More pictures of the path the brake line takes - obviously hidden from exhaust heat by the removed heatshielding.

image031ff3.jpg

image032lm8.jpg

image033ow2.jpg

image034mg6.jpg

More pictures of the fuel pump - the backing plate is still secure, but most things which are 'strapped' to it are working their way loose and the accumulator easily moves an inch or so as it's strap is pretty dead. Must take this assembly off and give it some attention.

image035bn2.jpg

Not quite sure why these fuel lines are crossed over...probably not the best plan in the world...

image036jx6.jpg

Nasty union! The screw thread of the brake line itself is partially exposed (waisted section here) and so they corrode together quite easily...or do they?

image037ed7.jpg

I heart PlusGas. I wanna be friends with it.

image040cx4.jpg

Now that the old pipe is off, I better crack on with making the new one really! All materials and tools supplied by Pete_Griff :salute:

image059ws9.jpg

Approximately an hour later, this is the new line fitting into the bias valve - top right in picture. Copper Nickel ftw.

image060wq1.jpg

Routing along the external floorpan, away from bias valve and towards mid box.

image061ao3.jpg

Routing above midbox, makes a nifty little 90deg bend here before heading over to the beam bracket on the offside of the car.

image062ll5.jpg

I straight-lined it here as there's nothing much in the way. The original had a \_/ section in, but I couldn't see any reason why this was so.

image063im0.jpg

And all done. I screwed the dead hose back on the end because it was clean and to help line it up with the bracket. The rear beam can go on now :clap:

Wow, been waiting to get the beam on for ages! Good to have some motivation again :cheers: