Jim Bowen

Jim Bowen Corrado VR6 - New engine build

I just got back from VW and they had blue/black, my original was yellow and put a new yellow one in, they must of changed something in the last few years, going to try a new black and blue and maybe as well get another blue one. Decided not to order from VW as the two senders were something like £80

Just got them from VW Heritage, £25 for the pair. Will fit coolant sensors, FPR, Lambda and Brake sensors to see what that fixes, if not i'll look into a fuel pump. After that i guess it would have to be a wiring or ECU issue

Fuel pressure regulator just turned up, doesn't look right to me.

Basically the same as this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-0280161511-Fuel-Line-Pressure-Damper/dp/B003CK7M7E

No nipple bit coming off it and the underside looks to be different as well, getting fed up with eurocarparts, i have a pile of parts now to take back for refunds

Yup they've got that wrong!

The first 7 digits denote the part type and format the last 3 are specifications.

So 0280 161 *** is very wrong.

0280 160 *** would prob fit but could be a different pressure rating.

The 4 bar fpr is Bosch part number 0280 160 575 make sure they get that although sometimes they are superseded. It would still be 0280 160 ***, 4.0 bar.

Got a refund on it so going to look for one. Quite a choice on ebay. Does it matter if they are genuine or not?

Some are £20. Seems like they fit quite a range of engines so not really corrado specific it seems.

Fitted the new coolant sensors today and made no difference to Idle. Along with stalling it also seems quite lumpy. Not massively just a bit more than i remember.

Didn't get it warm as wanted to try bypassing the idle valve. So just connected the smaller pipe coming off inlet elbow to the intake. Basically bypassing the idle valve Think i should have blanked it off instead. I started car and the revs just shot up. Switched it off before it got to 2500rpm and going to wait for the new one to arrive.

hi just read your last couple of threads, I had the same issue with mine, ive just changed the throttle position sensor, a 2nd hand bosch coil pack, new plugs and leads and a 2nd hand maf, all roaring fine again now

I think a MAF is going to worth me trying, i do have two but can't be sure either of them are 100%.

I notice in the US they have found the bosch sensor in the MAF housing is the same part number on other cars and also much cheaper, Going to try and take mine apart as might of found the correct Bosch part for £30 instead of £160+

Fitted the icv and it started up and steady idle at just over 1000rpm for a little then dropped down to normal idle so think that fixed it.

Also fitted the abs sensors and that had fixed the abs issues.

Dash gauge still reads low so not sure what that is likely to be.

So think its all ready for mot. Hoping to get it booked in for Saturday.

Seemed to be quite a bit of moisture in the exhaust when i started it. Will check coolant tomorrow. Dreaded to think something might be up with head gasket.

Will give it a proper drive and then worry it.

Is it literally the temp gauge just reads wrong? I aren't sure if mines reading too high, the fans aren't kicking in but it's at 100c so i daren't let it get any further on! :/

Good luck Jim! Hope you get some positive feedback at the MOT, not to mention a 12 month ticket!

Is it literally the temp gauge just reads wrong? I aren't sure if mines reading too high, the fans aren't kicking in but it's at 100c so i daren't let it get any further on! :/

Seems to read low to me, fans kick in and dash gauge is around 80degrees with oil at 92ish. Not sure when the aux pump should kick in after turning engine off, i've just been turning it off and then turning ignition on so the aux pump runs and circulates water while engine cools.

Good luck Jim! Hope you get some positive feedback at the MOT, not to mention a 12 month ticket!

I hope so, they know the car very well as i bought it off one of the chaps that works there. Bodywork is a mess at the moment, but i'll sort most of that over winter, (just want to get to drive it this year in the dry)

Id be asking the mot station to not leave the engine running too long as after an engine rebuild

Too much idling can glaze the cylinder bores

Best of luck with the test Jim - will be nice to have a reward and payback from all the hard work you've put in.

Is there a low temp rad switch or thermostat fitted? Some people do that as a way of sorting out cooling issues on the VR, but a properly running car shouldn't need it.

Cheers, Is it wrong i'm already thinking about rebuilding another engine i have :lol:

Can I commission you to do one for me? ;)