swiftkid

Swiftkids Corrado VR32

Yea everything is wired up as it should, even those annoying bits like evap canister are wired up.

I'm hoping it was only because the engine had been sat for about 2/3 years without running properly, plus the car has been sat for a year and a half.

Other than that, compared to my daily bmw 320d, it bloody shifted! Just power right the way through, definitely need big big brakes though!

Well took it for a proper thrashing on the way to test centre and it's made little to no difference so it's back to the drawing board. Running 2 front lambdas without rears, they have not been deleted yet but are unplugged, sports cat and full miltek, I'm thinking it's fueling related rather than just cat related as I never had any problems with the vr engine.

Either way, it's just another kick in the nuts and I'm seriously starting to lose the love.

At a guess you might not have closed loop fuelling/long term fuel trims? With the rear lambdas unplugged and not coded out

Have you got vagcom/scanner that will normally show if it's adjusting the fuel trims

Did it fail on all emissions? HC, CO2 and CO?

Did they test the emissions as soon as you got to the garage or did it have time to cool down? Ideally you want the cat red hot and test it straight away.

Not good mate but don't give up. I've got grey hairs from mine but it's worth it

Thrashed it around on way there and tested it straight away, made little difference.

c8e31047c294335be8add8bc6d967d9f.jpg

Have you plugged it into vcds? Mine ran fairly poorly before I had the rear lambda bungs fitted but still went through the emissions OK. The lambdas were actually fitted on mine though, just hanging secure in the bay so in effect they were seeing fresh air and not missing entirely. So much better with the rears in but I'm umming over whether a vince map without the rear sensors would be good or not for me.

Edited by Sean_Jaymo

You need the rear sensors in. I had exactly the same problem before I fitted mine.

Seems weird that they just have to be plugged in to lower emissions, especially HC. Everything I've read says they are there just to make sure the CAT is working but I'm not going to question an easy fix!

Do you know which measuring blocks I'd be wanting to look at to make sure this sorts it?

Think you will find that with some fault codes the ecu stops adaptation/adjusting fuel trims

I have same problem with having an egr and sai faults

Hopefully vince will fix them in couple of weeks

Well this thing is starting to really get on my nerves, it absolutely stinks of fuel... I could pretty much catch the fuel out the exhaust and just throw it back into the fuel tank.

Couple of things I really really didn't want to see... correct me if I'm wrong but that looks like chain stretch? And appears to be staying in open loop, connected up the rear lambdas and tucked them away, reset error codes let it idle up to temp and no lambda adaption. VAGCOM logs and error codes below, strangely enough I do have the SAI relay wired up.

If this sodding thing doesn't start behaving and giving me some luck it will be for sale!

Untitled%202_zpshgd2nack.png

Untitled_zpsmylajtef.png

vagcom_zpszns2gl6l.png

Control Module Part Number: 022 906 032 CB

Component and/or Version: MOTRONIC ME7.1.1 5604

19 Faults Found:

18058 - Powertrain Data Bus: Missing Message from Instrument Cluster

P1650 - 004 - No Signal/Communication

18058 - Powertrain Data Bus: Missing Message from Instrument Cluster

P1650 - 008 - Implausible Signal

18044 - Powertrain Data Bus: Missing Message from Airbag Controller

P1636 - 008 - Implausible Signal

18036 - Powertrain Data Bus: Missing Message from Steering Angle Sensor

P1628 - 008 - Implausible Signal

18043 - Powertrain Data Bus: Missing Message from A/C Controller

P1635 - 008 - Implausible Signal

18034 - Powertrain Data Bus: Missing Message from TCU

P1626 - 008 - Implausible Signal

18057 - Powertrain Data Bus: Missing Message from ABS Controller

P1649 - 008 - Implausible Signal

18057 - Powertrain Data Bus: Missing Message from ABS Controller

P1649 - 008 - Implausible Signal

18025 - Glow Plug Pre-Heat Indicator (K29): Open or Short to Ground

P1617 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded

17834 - EVAP Purge Valve (N80): Open Circuit

P1426 - 004 - No Signal/Communication

17841 - Secondary Air Pump Relay (J299): Open Circuit

P1433 - 004 - No Signal/Communication

17840 - Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve (N112): Open Circuit

P1432 - 004 - No Signal/Communication

18335 - Relay for Aux Coolant Pump (J496): Open Circuit

P1927 - 004 - No Signal/Communication

16440 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B2 S2: Heating Circuit: Malfunction / Open Circuit

P0056 - 004 - No Signal/Communication

16420 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S2: Heating Circuit: Malfunction / Open Circuit

P0036 - 004 - No Signal/Communication

19475 - Valve for Exhaust Flap 1 (N321): Open Circuit

P3019 - 004 - No Signal/Communication

18080 - Coolant Fan Control 1: Open or Short to Ground

P1672 - 004 - No Signal/Communication

17522 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor; B1 S2: Internal Resistance too High

P1114 - 004 - No Signal/Communication

17548 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor; B2 S2: Internal Resistance too High

P1140 - 004 - No Signal/Communication

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Omg

Hopefully it's something not too serious

Could it be a bad earth?

What's been done to the ecu? Just the immobiliser delete?

A high HC fail is usually because of inefficient combustion isn't it?

Low compression, worn valves, poor timing, worn plugs/leads etc

I'd be concerned about the reading in block 209 regarding the chains, which could cause a timing issue to cause the high HC?

Yea, as far as I'm aware it is inefficient combustion but I don't think its as bad as low compression etc. It does seem to point towards overfueling.

Vince did the immobiliser defeat so I'm more than confident with that being right

What Vince normally does is defeat the immobiliser so that you can drive it to him for a proper map, and delete all those codes. I think because the ECU thinks so much has failed, it doesn't know what the heck is going on and is running a rich safe map.

What engine is it? Blocks 209 & 208 should read in KW (german for degrees). Not sure what 'CF' is. Not seen that before. If block 209 really is at -9, it's either not timed properly or has chain stretch.

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Its an Audi A3 3.2, fairly sure its exactly the same as what you had Kev. I'm a bit stuck with what to do, what triggers closed loop, is it just blue temp sensor (R32's version). The ECU does seem to read water temp, I'm going to try run it up to temperature again tonight but it does seem like the lambdas are just not showing any values in the ECU at all, MAF readings seem about right (compared with what I've seen on forums)

Not sure it'll help but my 24v wasn't reading any lambda values due to other faults within the ECU (MAF, SAI etc). As soon as I got those faults cleared (by Vince) the lambdas began reading and adapting correctly.

To me it looks like you need to solve some of those fault codes first mate

Can you not book it in for mot at stealth so you can simply drive it down there to them ? Would save getting it trailord down there for them to work on it ! Sorry its not the input some can gove but thats what id be doing to get it sorted at this point mate !! Plus it will take some of the stress and frustration out of it for you before it drives you mad

+2. I notice the N80 evap valve isn't connected as well. Without SAI, N80, rear lambdas etc connected or coded out, it won't run properly. When all is well, closed loop will run not long after start-up and you will see some adjustment values in the measuring blocks. Because of all the faults, it's assuming a complete meltdown and is running a very basic map to get you home.

Next step is to get it up to Vince. -9 deg is on the ragged edge as -8 is the limit. Yours hasn't thrown the "Cam / crankshaft correlation error" yet, so you're within limits, just. I reckon yours is on the change over year when VW introduced upgraded chain gear, so yours might have the older MK4 stuff.

It sounds like my sort of luck getting stretched chains. Not a chance am I risking driving 3 hours to get my car cubed, I'll try give vince a call tomorrow for advice.

It's frustrating I can't do anything, just want to get it through mot then I can properly finish it off

Does anyone else have a similar conversion and can get some screenshots of the same blocks in vcds to give you an idea of how seriously out it might be.

Chain stretch has got to be unlikely hasn't it? Given the mileage and setup of the engine.