Vince@Stealth

Stealth Racing VR6 Turbo Kit discussion

The one reason I'd kill for a VR Turbo (and this might say something embarassing about my personality) would be to wipe the stupid sh@t eating grin off the face of all the peanuts in their 2.0 TDI repmobiles who, once a speed restriction passes (for example), are sitting up your backside to make you get out of their way so they can roar off at 100MPH+ - frankly the 16V Corrado isn't a match for those kinds of cars, but I'm willing to bet a 360BHP VR-Turbo would soon see them crying into their Blackberry! :)

The one reason I'd kill for a VR Turbo (and this might say something embarassing about my personality) would be to wipe the stupid sh@t eating grin off the face of all the peanuts in their 2.0 TDI repmobiles who, once a speed restriction passes (for example), are sitting up your backside to make you get out of their way so they can roar off at 100MPH+ - frankly the 16V Corrado isn't a match for those kinds of cars, but I'm willing to bet a 360BHP VR-Turbo would soon see them crying into their Blackberry! :)

Too right are there any running videos of the vrt??

Save it for the chavs in chipped-up Focus STs and things mate. Reps are not worth the sweat off a VRT's brow, or the points. And in my experience, fellow car enthusiasts are more likely to show respect to you and your car, win or lose. Reps I find to be overly aggressive and confrontational most of the time and don't care about you or their company car. I've seen them do some utterly dangerous and irrational things from very, very minor provocation.

I think there's some on the corrado club site of Crazy Dave's VRT, there was one of the Castle Combe track day and i think a hill climb, both sound very tasty :norty:

I think there's some on the corrado club site of Crazy Dave's VRT, there was one of the Castle Combe track day and i think a hill climb, both sound very tasty :norty:

I meant stealths one

Look up Godspeed Motorsport brakes. He does good prices on AP Racing and Brembo kits. From what I gather he uses his own discs and bells then whoever calipers. I'm sure the AP 330's were about £1200.

Look up Godspeed Motorsport brakes. He does good prices on AP Racing and Brembo kits. From what I gather he uses his own discs and bells then whoever calipers. I'm sure the AP 330's were about £1200.

Just looked on the website and he does 325mm AP racing for £1095. Bargain.

ive got 312mm brakes but anything else?

No where near enough stopping power for a 1250Kg 360hp road missile....

I really don't get why TT 312's are so highly regarded by lots of Corrado owners. I'm sure the last of the V6 TT uses 334mm discs? Says a bit about their braking needs!

In defense of the 312's- I suppose they are cheap and easy to get hold of. Not hard to fit and not everyone wants monster power so don't need more than those.

Me, I'm just a brakes tart who wanted the biggest I could get for sensible money!

I really don't get why TT 312's are so highly regarded by lots of Corrado owners. I'm sure the last of the V6 TT uses 334mm discs? Says a bit about their braking needs!

In defense of the 312's- I suppose they are cheap and easy to get hold of. Not hard to fit and not everyone wants monster power so don't need more than those.

Me, I'm just a brakes tart who wanted the biggest I could get for sensible money!

They're a reasonable upgrade for a standard car or mildly modified I suppose, but I just didn't get on with them at all. They warp and fade something chronic, and that's just through road use. I hate to think how they would fair on a track day.

The handy thing about the 312s is they share the same caliper as the 288s, so you can chop and change brakes and wheels very easily and cheaply without having to bleed them each time.

At the end of the day, you're never going to get properly powerful brakes until you spend the appropriate amount of cash and get the big stuff :D

Was going to say... 4 pots should be an absolute minimum requirement for 360+BHP...

I'm running the 312's on the TDI and they are ok but hardly any better than the 280mm setup tbh...

Forgive me for being a bit thick on this one but surely there's more to it than disc dia? eg caliper and pad spec.

Or does your comment refer to a generic 312mm brake setup?

[My Tarox 6 on 312mm seem pretty reasonable stoppers - easily better than the 312's on a 4M Bora, though that's 200Kg heavier to be fair]

Phil, factory brakes like the 280/288/312s are all sliding, single-pot brakes whereas by definition the 4pots (brembo/wilwood/tarox/AP) that people normally upgrade to will always be far superior even for the same or even smaller disc size. Your 6-pots will be another step up again but all as a result of caliper design and little to do with disc size!

Phil, factory brakes like the 280/288/312s are all sliding, single-pot brakes whereas by definition the 4pots (brembo/wilwood/tarox/AP) that people normally upgrade to will always be far superior even for the same or even smaller disc size. Your 6-pots will be another step up again but all as a result of caliper design and little to do with disc size!

Of course, I was forgetting that mass produced OEMs tend to be sliders. Cheers John

Well, after the test drive, I've taken the plunge!

Can't wait, my car's at Stealth now.

My Stage II VF Charger is for sale on the forum to help fund this new turbo venture!

My Stage II VF Charger is for sale on the forum to help fund this new turbo venture!

Very nice. Are you having anything else done while its there?

Nice one, theres no regrets going Turbo :) but there always hidden costs :?

Forgive me for being a bit thick on this one but surely there's more to it than disc dia? eg caliper and pad spec.

Or does your comment refer to a generic 312mm brake setup?

[My Tarox 6 on 312mm seem pretty reasonable stoppers - easily better than the 312's on a 4M Bora, though that's 200Kg heavier to be fair]

Yeah i meant the generic VAG 288/312 setup.

As Dukest said, alloy 4 or 6 pot calipers spread the piston force over a bigger pad area, which gives stronger and more consistent braking, and they dissipate heat far quicker than iron.

Discs are equally important, if not more so. Upping the diameter obviously increases braking torque but you also need decent iron quality, good venting technology and thickness. Ally bells are the cherry on top, which allow the swept part of the disc to heat up quicker without warping.

If you want a fade and warp free life, you need to invest in proper discs :d

Ive just read through this thread and that kit looks very well thought out - nice one Vince

I think there there will be lots of VRT's on the road soon

....but there always hidden costs :?

LOL... I certainly agree with that statement Shaun

Oh dear, I've only got 312mm from a TT, looks like the hidden costs are no longer so hidden!

Anybody got an Alcon set up?

Doing some business with them at the minute, might see 'what they can do for me!'

Oh dear, I've only got 312mm from a TT, looks like the hidden costs are no longer so hidden!

Anybody got an Alcon set up?

Doing some business with them at the minute, might see 'what they can do for me!'

Yeah Alcon are OK, very similar to AP Racing in quality and performance.

See how you get on with the TT 312s first. It's been mentioned several times how poor they are, but you need to make that decision for yourself on your local roads before spending a few K on brakes.

But if you can get Alcons for a good price, it would be rude to resist! :D

Is this not going to stress the engine too much. Im not a mechanic or anything but the VR6 was built to be 192bhp, and 360bhp is nearly double the power! Would this decrease the life of the engine? Also will there be any sort of guarantee if the engine goes bang!?