Vince@Stealth

Stealth Racing VR6 Turbo Kit discussion

No, damn YOU mate for being the owner of a Nissan GTR :p :lol:

Tell you what, when I'm finally happy with my VRT (it'll happen one day) I'll do you a swap for your GTR :D

Hehehe, by the time you are happy with your VRT, the GTR might be dead! :lol:

Nadeem.... OMG you bought a Nissan :epicfail:

The pic of you in your avatar, is that what you wear when you drive it :lol:

Sorry mate could not resist :)

Hope you are doing well?

Hi Vince, haha, it might be a Nissan, but we all know what Nissan can do with its "Skyline/GTR" cars :)

And, I'm sure you know what it can do in a straight line and in the bends :D :D

I'm good mate, thanks. A bit of a delay in bumping up the power in my car, got married and now expecting our first little un mid-March, so postponing everything, but I WILL be down soon, you can bet your turbo on it! :salute:

How's everything your ends? Making a lot of Corrado owners happy eh? :norty:

Yesterday Vince very kindly entrusted me with, for 1 hour, the keys to his VR6T. Now I’m lucky that my job occasionally involves driving some fast cars and this is not just a fast car by Corrado standards, it’s a fast car by any standards. It wasn’t just the power that impressed me, it was the polished, almost OE nature, with which it went about normal driving, idling, shuffling forward in traffic and managing the no doubt increased heat that is generated. That is quite an achievement for one man when you consider that OE’s have teams of engineers to develop and test every element of engine and power-train.

So back to the power; the delivery is very smooth, boost builds to an epic rush. You are very aware of the turbo spooling, it makes its presence heard through the air vents and in a sense is almost a warning as to the impending acceleration. Now I did say that delivery is smooth but so high is the power and torque for such a light car that it’ll still spin third and I’m sure fourth (but I ran out of road and bottle!) – I think Vince’s suggestion of Race Logic traction control is worth serious consideration – if only to allow you to exploit the extra power more often.

Part of my test drive involved the A46 round Coventry, a dual carriage way. I had to be careful applying the power on exiting its many roundabouts but it reminded me of those 80’S computer games that when you drove over the special areas, you were given a sudden burst of speed. It was almost as if the rest of the traffic was stationary! Then on to the M69 and this conversions other great trick, that is to say massive torque available in 5th gear at 80mph. Simply touching the throttle at this speed and you can either squirt passed slower traffic in the blink of an eye or keep your foot in and make like the Millennium Falcon going to warp speed. Awesome.

Under full throttle it’s more vocal than my supercharged VR6 but at idle it’s very civilized, where as mine still has the whine of the supercharger. Vince is only running one silencer box and no Cat, so this, I’m sure, may explain the full throttle roar!

In short, when I returned the keys to him, I was wearing a beaming smile and wanting to shake the hand of a VR6 genius! It felt very well engineered, incredibly fast, looked very neat in the engine bay and if my wife doesn’t mind, I’m going to have one too! :notworthy:

nice write up!! i was the same when i fist drove a VRT, its simply better than you can imagine, there is certainly going to be lots of VRT's around now

Nice review there Greg. FFS i need another Corrado quick :)

you sure do :grin: sometimes you dont know what you have got till its gone hey, please shoot me if you see my corrrado for sale

Nice review there Greg. FFS i need another Corrado quick :)

you sure do :grin: sometimes you dont know what you have got till its gone hey, please shoot me if you see my corrrado for sale

Very true pal. I did reply to your thread on DW asking about the Rotas.

I drove it the same day as Greg, in fact, I was entrusted with the keys and £40 in cash to go and fill it up with 97RON at the Total garage before Greg arrived :D I didn't go for as long a test drive as Greg, maybe about 20 minutes in and around the Southam area, but all I can say is I was incredibly impressed with the cars impeccable manners at low speeds. Off-boost you wouldn't know you were in anything other than a standard VR6, and this is even more impressive when you consider the car is 'only' running OBD1 management.

However, once you get it singing up above about 2500rpm you are transported into a different world. This, in my opinion, is supercar territory. The rush of acceleration is really like nothing else I've ever experienced. I've not been fortunate enough to have driven that many fast cars, but I've been passenger in a few and this car totally eclipsed anything else that's gone before it. I would echo Greg's sentiments in that it feels like going into warp speed, it's almost like the scenery around you blurs and you experience tunnel vision as the car accelerates in an incredibly linear fashion up to speeds that are licence-losing in the blink of an eye. My missus bloody loved it :)

Needless to say, I'm selling my Vauxhall-engined Mini (anyone interested?!) and going straight down to Stealth once I've got the cash. I really can't think of a better way to spend that amount of money, and I believe it turns the Corrado into a viable alternative to any modern car up to and above £100k. Seriously.

I'm just glad that I've just done all the necessary chassis and brake mods to my car to be able to handle the power and torque, as well as an OBD2 conversion :norty:

Thanks Vince, another customer found and retained, and I only came down to have my suspension aligned :lol:

I drove it the same day as Greg, in fact, I was entrusted with the keys and £40 in cash to go and fill it up with 97RON at the Total garage before Greg arrived :D I didn't go for as long a test drive as Greg, maybe about 20 minutes in and around the Southam area, but all I can say is I was incredibly impressed with the cars impeccable manners at low speeds.

You were sent on the cigar run then? :D

You should have turned left out of Stealth and blasted down that road. I forget what it's called (Banbury bypass perhaps?) but it's a wicked road for testing.

I'm just glad that I've just done all the necessary chassis and brake mods to my car to be able to handle the power and torque, as well as an OBD2 conversion :norty:

Good man. You will find that as well as the hedgerows and trees becoming a green blur in your peripheral vision, cars a mile down the road are suddenly in front of you before you know it, so powerful brakes are a must!!

How viable is running a VR-T as a daily? I do 12,000 miles a year, mostly down the motorway. Would this take it's toll on the engine or could I wake up and know that I'm not going to have any trouble?

I've currently got the C booked in with Vince for fitment of a Schrick, Schimmel cams and a re-map in April but GOD-DAMN am I tempted to change my plans! :norty:

(I'd appreciate some advice off someone with experience of owning & running a VR-T over a long-ish period please!)

If your on the motorway you will find you will be driving off boost alot of the time on part throttle which is good as it takes the stresses out of the engine as opposed to when your on boost which is when problems with reliability can occur. Also it should be pretty economical too that way as well maybe even more so than N/A.

I have a Shrick, which I probably will remove for when I get the turbo, only thing is I'm not looking to get the turbo this year, it will be next year, which means I will have to resort to a non-shricked car for at least 10 months, hhhmmm.... :?

How viable is running a VR-T as a daily? I do 12,000 miles a year, mostly down the motorway. Would this take it's toll on the engine or could I wake up and know that I'm not going to have any trouble?

I've currently got the C booked in with Vince for fitment of a Schrick, Schimmel cams and a re-map in April but GOD-DAMN am I tempted to change my plans! :norty:

(I'd appreciate some advice off someone with experience of owning & running a VR-T over a long-ish period please!)

If I can run a VRT daily for 3 years with a standalone (no previous experience), I'm positive you will be fine with Vince's kit 8)

All I can recommend is not to cut any corners on the seemingly simple things like oil and water hoses etc because it's always those that let you down in the end. In the early days of my build, I called the AA out 3 times for ruptured water hoses around the turbo area :D

That was the only thing that caused me breakdowns. The engine itself, turbo and DTA ECU have all been rock solid and dependable. It's also done several 5 hour plus continuous motorway journeys too with zero issues or concerns.

Build it to last, pay particular attention to heat management and don't run boost levels which will destroy the gearbox and you will be fine.

Junk the Schrick, but keep the cams. Put that grand towards the turbo kit instead. You simply don't need a schrick with Vince's turbo kit. One some builds with dinner plate turbos, it might help, but have a look at Vince's torque curves....a Schrick ain't gonna contribute much, if anything :D And that dip / recover at 4K always drove me nuts, so save your cash mate.

There's no definitive answer for that. It depends more on the turbo size and torque curve rather than a set boost amount.

I've set myself a personal limit of 15psi, which I won't exceed until the 02M\02Q has gone in. Most experienced VRT builders tend to agree that is the safe limit for the 02A, but you still need to show a bit of mechanical sympathy.

Others have broken gearboxes with less boost than that, and some people have run more than 15psi and got away with it. It's as much to do with luck as anything else, just like speeding. You WILL get caught sooner or later :wink:

There's no definitive answer for that. It depends more on the turbo size and torque curve rather than a set boost amount.

Indeed, it depends on how much of a restriction the cylinder head is. E.g if one bloke has a standard head and the other a ported, large valved head, then with the same setup, you'll see a lower boost on the latter. Torque curve is the important thing here.

im running 9psi, but thinking i wana go to a bar later this year... my gearbox has been reconditioned by Vince actually (not when i had it), so i think it will be alright :lol: its not a daily and only will be doing few thousand miles a year

I have a Shrick, which I probably will remove for when I get the turbo, only thing is I'm not looking to get the turbo this year, it will be next year, which means I will have to resort to a non-shricked car for at least 10 months, hhhmmm.... :?

I'm in no rush. Quite broke at the moment. Just bear me in mind when you come to sell.

Does anyone know as to what the 0 - 60 time is using this turbo setup and what kind of MPG can be attained say on a motorway run, speed at around 70 to 80. Just interested as to what can be achieved when spending 4500 grand.

If 0-60 times and fuel economy are your objectives, then you're looking at entirely the wrong kind of setup quite frankly! It's all about (my opinion at least) effortless in-gear acceleration - i.e. 40MPH upwards.

You're going to need to put in some upgrades (the aforementioned traction control and probably an LSD) before you can put the power down reliably in 1st and 2nd to be getting the best possible 0-60 times.

As for fuel economy, there will be a hit at cruising speeds but I'm reliably informed that VR turbo's are almost as economical as normal VR's - off boost :) On-boost is a whole different story.

When / If Kate moves back up to manchester i will seriously be considering this at the moment though not a chance :D

Jim is spot on...

0-60 isnt what a VRT is about. I havent ever given mine any stick in 1st gear... get it in second with the peloquin i can get some good traction and the power goes down nicely!! so 1st gear is basically nothing im afraid in most cases.

At 70-80mph mine runs off boost, so the same mpg as a VR6

Mine has averaged 27mpg over the past few years.

0-60 is tricky because of traction, but 5.5 Secs should be possible if spin is kept to a minimum.

Mine has averaged 27mpg over the past few years.

0-60 is tricky because of traction, but 5.5 Secs should be possible if spin is kept to a minimum.

I'm with you on that. I find it hard even running the 4 wheels to get serious traction, what I love about the turbo is on motorways in 5th doing 80 mph then quick right foot depression on loud pedal and I am ton up. It's one of the best feeling ever. Even better when going through the countless 50mph workareas on our motorways and seeing the national speed limit sign appear and just booting it; quick look in rear mirror and all the cars that were around you are back on the horizon :norty: :norty: :nuts: