Hi all,

Anyone on here currently living in Dubai or have done recently?

I've been offered a job over there and have to make up my minnd fairly soon. I've done a couple of 3 week stints there but no idea what it would be like to live there permanently.

Any opinons would be welcome.

I've not lived there myself but my aunty and uncle and cousins lived there for nearly 20 years, even before all the big development. I know that they loved it, Ive been there a few times. It's awesome and I would live there if I where offered a job but I don't think it's a long term thing, deffo do it if you can. Great experience, my uncle is now in Azerbaijan and my cousins and aunt are back in Wales but they do miss dubai. Do it!

More details about the job! As above, I'd say a few years is probably enough. I'm in double figures for the amount of times I've been there, so months rather than weeks in total spent there. Its an amazing place. So much to do, and I've seen it rise from the ground in stages. Its not as cheap as it used to be, but still amazing all the same.

I've been a few times visiting friends. Not really my cup of tea, but they love it. Obv full of ex-pats, so if you don't mind living in that type of community, it'll be fine.

I found it all too pretentious, everyone with their flash cars and going to posh restaurants and so on. That said - the money is probably going to be good and no income tax. I would go there for a year or two to make some money and come back but could never live there, I love the west of Scotland too much, despite rain and potholes :) They are quite strict, for example, my friend has credit card debt and cannot leave the country until it's paid off.

Summer is unbearably hot, so it's a case of jumping from aircon house to aircon car to aircon office. IF accommodation is paid for, it's fine, if not, you usually pay 6 months rent up front and then pay for 6 months at time, worth bearing in mind.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Did two years there a few years back. Funnily enough my auntie and uncle also lived there for twenty odd years but left for Canada, shortly after we arrived - not because of us of us, you understand :). It is a fantastic experience. Note however, holidaying and short stints are one thing, long term working is another. Grass is always greener etc. Do your research properly and talk to as many people about the pros and cons, cause there's am awful lot of both! I would not hesitate to go again was it not for family circumstances. Ar one stage all benefits were thrown in and all your money was your own luxury cash. Nowadays, many companies are giving you a decent salary but you have to pay for accom yourself (which has dramatically increased to ridiculous amounts over the past few years). If the company is good and well established in UAE, and you have a good salary- go for it, you wont regret it. The wide variety of lifestyles to enjoy are there (especially if you have hobbies - watersports, shopping!, desert). Facilities as you will know are great, car transport has become much worse, though some public systems are good, if a little crowded at rush periods. Very safe too, though am sure it might have stats might have slightly declined now with the population increasing now over the past few years.

It probably also all comes down to what you do, and your salary at the end of the day. Not sure of your family status but schooling beyond a point can be expensive if its not included (which it often is), but might be wise to check prices. I was out and about a lot of the time so saw a lot and experienced a cross section of society there from working with the super rich to seeing the slums and background of construction industry. If you needs anything further feel free to drop me a PM.

Thanks for the replies and thoughts guys.

I'm a mechanical engineer. Would be going with my wife and 18 month old boy. I'd be given a house, car, medical cover etc.

A bit worried that my wife would go insane with boredom over there. She can't drive either which doesn't help I suppose. She's also very close to her family and I don't want her to be miserable. It's ok for me as I'd be in work every day and I'm away from family now as it is.

If I did go and wanted to come back in a couple of years I dont think my company could guarantee me a job back here so that worries me a bit. It is a great opportunity but lots to think about.

Anyway, I've asked if we can go over for a week so my wife can see what it's like. I'll know on Monday.

Well, we spent 10 days over there and wife loved it so I've accepted the job. It's a great offer and I think we'd always be wondering "what if?" if I had turned it down.

Lots to sort out over the next couple of months including the sale of the 16v probably!

Can any of the Glaswegians here recommend any storage companies and do any store cars??

Good luck mate, can't help with any storage recommendations though as I've never had the need

All the best! Cheap fuel out there so time to buy a V8! :)

All the best. In Dubai there's no income tax so you should be quids in. I generally find overseas assignments are good for moving up the car ladder. Before my last one I had an Audi TT, I then spent 2.5 years in Oz and when I came back last year I bought a Porsche 911. I kept my Storm in storage with a forum member who is based in Yorkshire. I can PM details if you want.

Cheers lads. Was thinking Golf GTi but not sure yet!

I've spotted a nice low mileage 16v for sale here that I like but have 2 cars to get rid of before I go. Just wary that corrado prices might have risen a lot by the time I get back. Curse these corrados!

Good luck in the new venture.

It will be an amazing time for you all. Funny you are worried about how your wife and son will get on, I have a friend that went to Australia for a number of years and it was actually him that failed to settle properly. His wife actually had the time to befriend other mums in the street etc.

Dont worry about the price of Corrados, I still reckon in 5-6 years time, mint ones will still be well under 10k. (Ducks as this will no doubt be resurected to prove me wrong at some point!)

Plus you will always be able to come back to the sunny west coast for some much deserved rain every now and again.

Dougie

Well we're leaving tomorrow. Will be tough not being around corrados for a while! Have more or less decided to break that g60 I picked up lately so that will be the next job whenever I'm home next.

Look what I found:http://dubai.dubizzle.com/m/motors/used-cars/volkswagen/scirocco/2014/8/28/vw-corrado-cope-92-classic-clean-car-2/

Better not tell my wife I've emailed him.

Cracking find look's good too only downside being it's a left hooker. With a bit of work could be a cracker. How much does 40,000 AED mean in pounds?

haha, a lot! Over 7k he's asking there.

Obviously the word has spread to Dubai about an imminent rise in Corrado price's :rolleyes:

Its got 40000 miles on.. Bargain.. Bring it home when you are done and take it to Germany.. Money back..

Whats the drivers seat, Subaru?

Could well be, I'm not sure.

No harm in asking anyway. There can't be that many people over here daft enough to want one!