Keyo

What 80's - 90s cars for sale have caught your eye recently.

As an investment maybe your right. I looked at them start of the year and the few I did see were getting very rusty especially under the sills. Hard to beat the noise though. Part of me wants to keep my Ed30 as its a very capable car and easily tuned, just leaves me a little cold though.

See your up in Scotland mate I noticed this car for sale earlier, has some seriously rare parts, BBS body kit I think. and very rare colour not my cup of tea but none the less I think the body kit looks the business, would look great in Black or red.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-Mk2-GTI-16v/174094811543?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

I bought a Fiat Coupe Turbo in the summer to use while the G60 is being restored. So that's my daily winter hack just now. But what a machine, you think a VR6 sounds and goes good, they haven't got anything on the Lancia 5 pot fitted in these!!

I bought a Fiat Coupe Turbo in the summer to use while the G60 is being restored. So that's my daily winter hack just now. But what a machine, you think a VR6 sounds and goes good, they haven't got anything on the Lancia 5 pot fitted in these!!

Those fiat coupes were pretty cars but they seemed to disappear very quickly off the roads

Those fiat coupes were pretty cars but they seemed to disappear very quickly off the roads

Probably something to do with rust.....or catching fire

Probably something to do with rust.....or catching fire

Yep mate had one - spent a lot of time in the dealers... mainly wiring/electrical issues. - nice to look at thou.... not sure I'd want to own one.

Yeah I remember them coming out and thought they looked like a mini Ferrari, as mentioned they did disappear quickly off the roads.

Rust is generally what kills them, especially the lower rear quarters. I was just looking for a daily to have some fun with and have always wanted a Fiat Coupe, but only the 20v turbo. Cost me £1000 and another £500 to get it on the road so very much bottom of the barrel stuff. Body wise it's rough but mechanically it's spot on and carries a very safe and reliable 300bhp. The one I have had a new engine off a crate from Fiat 30k ago, that was the main reason I bought it. It does handle like an old fiat though and nowhere near the sharpness of the Corrado. The noise though. The time to buy one is now, a bit like the Corrado.

A car sharing friend had a coupe turbo for s brief period (off the swapz website - buyer beware! via an alfa 147), intermittent starter by all accounts and after many RAC visits (to the point they refused further visit for the same fault) and garages the loom behind the dash was all burnt up. the car left with the garage to cover the bill, an expensive lesson learned.

A Corrado with a Fiat engine would be different?

Yep the alternator would require removing the engine to swap :D

Have to admit Ive got a little handkering for one of these. I miss the V6, Edition30 is brilliant at everything but sound crap IMO. I don't need a flaying machine. Thing is, with much of this stuff now, the prices are just too much for what the car is. A lot of rose tinted specs being worn these days.

Definitely rose tints where that car is concerned. I don't miss mine at all. The ED30 is way, way more capable and a lot faster when remapped. I don't care about engine noise personally, I'm just interested in grip and speed. I would say a mint ED30 would hold it's value more than a MK4 R32. The MK5 R32 drives a lot better and has a better engine, but looked incredibly dull with it's Jetta front end.

Heard similar from Stealth RE the R32: Mk5 is the better car. Also he also said the chain job is a lot more expensive on the R32 vs the 12v VR6 and many customers who come in for thta job after having it done on their previous 12v VR6 are suprised at the increase.

I'd be tempted by a ED30 as well over the Mk4 but prefer the way the Kk4 looks.

I had the Ed30 for a couple of years. If it wasnt for an expensive divorce i would still have it. Great car. Nose heavy, well planted and stuck to the road. Brilliant with the DSG box and launch control. The flappy paddles were always fun.

I love my project VR in the garage, but still hang my nose over the Ed30. I went out in a friends R32, nice inside but lacks the character of the GTi for me

A car sharing friend had a coupe turbo for s brief period (off the swapz website - buyer beware! via an alfa 147), intermittent starter by all accounts and after many RAC visits (to the point they refused further visit for the same fault) and garages the loom behind the dash was all burnt up. the car left with the garage to cover the bill, an expensive lesson learned.

That may well happen one day lol. That coupe on swapz wasn't red by any chance, and on there a couple of years ago?

Does anyone know whether this Recaros interior came with a MK3 GTI golf anniversary as when I have looked at the MK3 anniversary in the UK it has a chequered colourful not to my taste interior, however love the interior to the link below, do folks know what model this came on thanks. I have seen it described on the anniversary model but never see it on a car ?

The interior i'm asking about that I think looks great

http://gshep.co.uk/golfgti/golfgti_092.jpg

The interior that I have seen on the anniversary which im not to keen on.

https://www.vwheritage.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/interior-364x273.jpeg

Edited by Keyo

Heard similar from Stealth RE the R32: Mk5 is the better car. Also he also said the chain job is a lot more expensive on the R32 vs the 12v VR6 and many customers who come in for thta job after having it done on their previous 12v VR6 are suprised at the increase.

I'd be tempted by a ED30 as well over the Mk4 but prefer the way the Kk4 looks.

And the sound :cool:

Does anyone know whether this Recaros interior came with a MK3 GTI golf anniversary as when I have looked at the MK3 anniversary in the UK it has a chequered colourful not to my taste interior, however love the interior to the link below, do folks know what model this came on thanks. I have seen it described on the anniversary model but never see it on a car ?

The interior i'm asking about that I think looks great

http://gshep.co.uk/golfgti/golfgti_092.jpg

The interior that I have seen on the anniversary which im not to keen on.

https://www.vwheritage.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/interior-364x273.jpeg

Totally agree with you about both interiors. As far as I was aware, the UK mk3 only had the shocking chequered one.

That may well happen one day lol. That coupe on swapz wasn't red by any chance, and on there a couple of years ago?

Its probably 10 years ago now, I can't remember the colour TBH (he only drove once in it, had to borrow cars or we drove on his behalf when it wouldn't start lol - the last thing you want after a 12 hour night shift is a car that won't start!), the other guy was in mid wales and blocked all contact when things started going wrong

Totally agree with you about both interiors. As far as I was aware, the UK mk3 only had the shocking chequered one.

The Mk3 has never really been that desirable but I think a MK3 2.0 16v with that interior would be a good buy and I would quite like one ha. It didn't help that they were slower then the Mk2 golf and were a bit roly poly in the handling department.

I've got a feeling the cool interior might have been a Uk option or only the european version of the anniversary , would luv to know. I have seen the cool interior in photos on rhd cars though so a bit mythed.

Edited by Keyo

The Mk3 has never really been that desirable but I think a MK3 2.0 16v with that interior would be a good buy and I would quite like one ha. It didn't help that they were slower then the Mk2 golf and were a bit roly poly in the handling department.

I bought a Mk3 8-valve GTi as a stop-gap after my tweaked Mk2 GTi died and I couldn't find a decent Mk2 replacement. It was properly uninspiring, slow and gutless with a weird hollowed-out feeling to it and nasty, spongey handling. The 16v has a better reputation tbf, but after the Mk2 the whole Mk2 experience was a disappointment. I chopped it in against a neat, one-owner Mk2 after about a year of dullness. That interior does look okay though.

I bought a Mk3 8-valve GTi as a stop-gap after my tweaked Mk2 GTi died and I couldn't find a decent Mk2 replacement. It was properly uninspiring, slow and gutless with a weird hollowed-out feeling to it and nasty, spongey handling. The 16v has a better reputation tbf, but after the Mk2 the whole Mk2 experience was a disappointment. I chopped it in against a neat, one-owner Mk2 after about a year of dullness. That interior does look okay though.

Still wondering if anyone knows the the info about the black recaros interior with the red detail. Noticed it comes with red seat belts as well which was part of the anniversary package.

The Mk4 2.0 was not worthy of a GTI badge either you had to have the 1.8 GTI with the turbo , that was quite a nice car with the Recaro interior.

The MK3 Recaros are from an 'Edition' rather than the 'Anniversary Edition'. Pretty rare actually. I had an 8v AGG MK3 GTI. It's what I cut my teeth on learning about car maintenance and mechanics. I paid £200 for it, and thought that if I mess it up, it doesn't really matter for that. It had a few choice mods when I bought it, which made it a bit less squidgy but not a particularly quick car by any stretch. It was a good daily though, and I would recommend one to any youngish lad looking for an affordable and solid motor where spare and aftermarket parts are easy to get hold of if you want a starter project

The MK3 Recaros are from an 'Edition' rather than the 'Anniversary Edition'. Pretty rare actually. I had an 8v AGG MK3 GTI. It's what I cut my teeth on learning about car maintenance and mechanics. I paid £200 for it, and thought that if I mess it up, it doesn't really matter for that. It had a few choice mods when I bought it, which made it a bit less squidgy but not a particularly quick car by any stretch. It was a good daily though, and I would recommend one to any youngish lad looking for an affordable and solid motor where spare and aftermarket parts are easy to get hold of if you want a starter project

Hi Sean,

Was the Edition sold in the UK and did it come as a 8V or 16V . Was there as choice of colour on the body ? Cheers.