Sign in to follow this  
mistrall

should i be geting beaten by these cars?

Mistrall, if you are tempted to go for throttle bodies, make sure you can get it through an mot. Yours & mine for that matter are just new enough to need a cat.

what sort of money do they cost? what power diference would be gained? lol what is a throtal body and were does it go - why does it work???? :) (have done a search but no luck)

hmmm...

not sure who grantly motorsport of bristol are, but there is a company called GRANT motorsport just down the road from me lmfao

DEL VR6,

I have out-dragged a TT whilst accelerating up a steep hill on a short stretch of dual carriageway, overtaking slower cars.

By the look on the guys face he wasn't happy about it either.

That one had twin pipes out the back as well.

I was a bit surprised, I had only had my VR a few days.

think theres something wrong if your getting beat by them cars ,ive done a vauxhall coupe 2.2 something ,stormed up behind my bro in law's bmw 325 and he wouldn't play,beat agolf 16v (which was very quick) mondeo st24 off the lights ,1.4 civics are poor , i have a k'n'n decat pipe ,ebay blitzchip,ported tb and a stainless exhaust ,still got to do the inlet cam swap .

dont need to go to the red in a 2l, power falls off before that. i think peak power is like 5200 or something...

as for getting beaten by 1.4s, cant say it happened to me. maybe off the lights but only for a short time as my corrado tends to skip and wheel spin..

:)

Don't get me wrong I love my 1.8 valver (142.2bhp) and benerally speaking it is fun to drive and isn't a slow car by any stretch of the imagination but every now and again I get beaten by something and come home repeating the mantra "must get VR6, must get VR6".

Two cases in point.

1.Took a lot of effort other day to get past a 1.4 16v polo going up big hill out of Truro to Falmouth

2. The on way back to Plymouth from Truro got beaten up another hill by some old geezer type 5 door civic :roll:

must get vr6 must get vr6 :twisted:

I baet a clean looking Nova GTE yesterday, but last night when I started the C it was running on 3 to start with..... :(

Think its soon time to retire the C and break it :( :(

Why? Might only be a stupid little problem, someone off here would probably buy it before you went to the extent of breaking it.

The 1.4 16v Polos are very nippy, 100bhp in a small light car...

True, my mate used to have one, although it didn't stand a chance against my standard 8v Mk2 GTI, and also would not against my Corrado.

wilkes, I keep reading about these Blitzchips, did it make a worthwhile improvement? Ideally I'd like to get mine remapped properly yo suit my set up, but amd want something like £350 to do that. Anyone no of anywhere else who would do a good job of it for less?

The 1.4 16v Polos are very nippy, 100bhp in a small light car...
I can vouch for the Polo GTI, although they need a bit of well to get them going :twisted:

I had a little burn with an Audi TT 180bhp (single exhaust), I thought he was going to leave me, but we were pretty even up to 60, and then in 3rd I crept away from him.

I used to have a Leon Cupra with the 180bhp 1.8t and always thought that was quicker than my Corrado, but maybe not. I did have a little blast in the Leon with a Mk2 Golf 16v, which apparently is standard apart from a 4 branch manifold, magnex system and K & N, and we were evenly matched, I was quite dissapointed by that. The Leon always felt pretty damn rapid.

It's the turbo power delivery that makes you think it's quick. Not saying it wasn't but a car's sensation of speed is determined by where the torque is in the rev range, which was low down in your Leon's case.

This is why TDI boys think they can beat anything. Yeah they have high torque outputs, but only over a narrow power band. Mind you, I wouldn't take on a BMW 535d though, those things can chip to 344hp and over 500lb/ft.

don't be too gutted mate.

i had a lowly 1.6 focus but around town its low enough geared to be pretty darn nippy.

fekin dead as a dodo at motorway speeds though - where my vr absolutely comes alive.

all about the ratios innit :)

and really, its academic, as its also all about the driver, reactions, element of suprise, etc etc etc

i was struggling to keep up with me mate in a deisel clio van through the city today because he knew which way the 3.5 foot wide road was going etc etc

(thats my excuse anyway and i'm sticking to it ;) )

Think its soon time to retire the C and break it :( :(

thats a slapping offence, no corrado should be allowed to just die.

bring it round my house and i'll pop a new lump in it like mine which is more spritly than it was before now.

i had a lowly 1.6 focus but around town its low enough geared to be pretty darn nippy.

fekin dead as a dodo at motorway speeds though - where my vr absolutely comes alive.

all about the ratios innit :)

Yeah my mate's 2.0 Focus is the same. I'm not ashamed to admit he's quite difficult to keep with around town as they bloody corner damn well too! But on the motorway....put your foot down in the Crocus at 90mph and there's bugger all there. The VR surges past it like it's standing still :lol:

absolutely gayspire. well said.

i had a standard 1.6 lx (luther) that wasn't even on the zetec's sport suspension, and it was remarkably limpet like to be honest. all my veedub buddies would never have it, but it's true!

but on the motorway putting your foot down can only be likened to applying a greensquiff pad to a black diamond disc - NOTHING HAPPENS!! ;)