seanl82

Seanl82's ringer Storm

Cheers Rob, fingers crossed! I'm always nervous about it though, theres just too many things that I can't test and are out of my control.

Woop Woop! She passed! :dance:

A couple of advisories I wasn't expecting, and a couple of advisories I was, but nothing major. The MOT tester I take it to is a proper anal retentive. Its only £25 for the MOT, so I think he tries everything to make a bit more by getting work done that doesn't necessarily need it. :hitler: He is very thorough though so not a bad thing in some respects.

Ones I was expectiong:

* O/S front tire worn on inner edge. - Seriously needs geometry sorting tbh, I'll get both fronts changed at the same time even though there's about 5mm tread across the rest of both tyres.

* Slight play in O/S and N/S rear wheel bearings. - I had to take the disks off to replace the ABS sensors, and I'm always over cautious when putting them back on as I tightened one too much once and destroyed the bearing and stub axle as it expanded when hot! I'll nip em both up a bit more.

Ones I wasn't expecting:

* Two brake pipes rusty at the compensator. - They're not at all bad tbh. A quick wire brush and they'd be good. - Note about tester above.

* One engine mount bolt slightly loose. - :rolleyes:

* N/S and O/S track rod end covers are perished and cracked but still serviceable. - Didn't notice that, so I'll investigate a bit further I think.

* Slight play in the O/S front lower swivel - :shrug: Ball joint? I'll check those out too, but the front axle will be refurbished next winter so they'll be replaced anyway, including track rods and ends etc......

Anyway, taxed now so I'm off for a drive! :cool:

Edited by seanl82

Well done mate :) Always a great feeling getting a fresh 12 month ticket!

Good work on the pass, although not much of a doubt given the work you've done.

* Slight play in O/S and N/S rear wheel bearings. - I had to take the disks off to replace the ABS sensors, and I'm always over cautious when putting them back on as I tightened one too much once and destroyed the bearing and stub axle as it expanded when hot! I'll nip em both up a bit more.

Do these per the manual and ignore the MOT tester. They're meant to have a little play in there

Congrats mate

Thanks all, not such a great first drive out though! :mad:

Some friggin woman decided she could also fit her A4 down the car lined road, which was only really wide enough for one car and it was my right of way! As such.............

DSC_0142_zpsrmf8pd0p.jpg

DSC_0140_zpskycrayxw.jpg

It was either that or the wing. She nonchalantly just drove on without realising what she'd done. I seriously felt like crying.

It was just a kiss so not all the way round and I had to brake pretty hard to avoid her front bumper too, so luckily wasn't going too fast. I've calmed down a bit now, but felt like spinning round and going after her. Luckily my daughter was in the car so thought better of it, but I'm still pretty angry tbh.

Good news on the MOT Sean but gutted about the wheel. Suppose it's lucky you didn't damage the paintwork.

Yeah, cost me a bloody fortune too. They should repair ok thankfully. They're not deeply gouged luckily, just scraped the powder off.

Ah bugger, gutted about the wheel chap.

If it's any consolation I had to move over for a police car the other day and the old dear in front slammed on her brakes and cut right across me forcing me further over so I just clipped the curb. Thankfully it was just the Rota's rather than the BBS but it's made a right old mess.

My order from Heritage arrived today which included the scuttle clips and grommets. I'll get them on shortly.

After another drive this morning I've realised just how poor the suspension is. I know it'll never be as good as a modern car, but the M sport Bimmers sport suspension which is know as being a little harsh, seems like its riding on feathers in comparison.

To that end, I may or may not just have ordered the Bilstein B12 pro kit........... :o

Where from Sean? Larkspeed seems the best price around at the moment. I find mine rides pretty well actually, it just appears worse than it is due to the rattles!

I've almost rid the rattles so its not that, but going by the MOT advisory list I need new ball joints and track rod ends. (not entirely convinced I actually do though having looked at them). - regardless, they'll all be changed next winter with the running gear refurb.

I didn't know about Larkspeed, so got them from Demon Tweeks. Just looked and I paid about £12 more retail, although I paid 30% deposit and got em on a 12 month finance deal. Helps keep the spend down so no biggie and I'll be away for most of it so I won't see what's not there..............

It was a toss up between these and the KW V1s. I'm a little worried about them obviously being set height, but the pics I've seen of them fitted with standard 15" and 17" wheels also look respectable. I'm not a floor whore in the slightest, but I don't want huge arch gaps either so 25/30mm seems good to me. Not sure if I'll wait til I do the rest of the underside before fitting them either, although I probably won't be able to wait that long even if I'm away for most of it!

New Lemforder ball joints, tie rod ends, Arb bushes, and rear top mount kits ordered from AVS, will order front mounts from VW on Monday. :cool: