Erallus

VW Rig US emmissions for diesels

Anyone seen this in the news today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34322016

I wonder what this will do to their sales and reputation.

So this could mean that a load of cars on the roads are illegal, and get recalled if the EU decide to do a similar investigation.

Anyone got a 14/15 plate Golf?

I guess Porsche may regret their boardroom deal to buy VAG then. Some hefty fines on the way. It was a bit nifty as a hack though - someone told me that the ECU would basically know that it was in emissions test mode and automatically altered the values to suit!

Nothing new, its been going on for years and its why remapping a standard car makes it drive better

Problem is VW of America have admitted they've done wrong already. We've had emails flinging around about the 'allegations' of emissions tampering. It's not allegations anymore, they're admitted it. it is emissions tampering and/or fraud.

While I doubt they'll see the full potential of the $18Bn fine they could be up for, this wont be cheap - i'd guess $5Bn as a minimum, plus whatever they've already lost off their share prices, PLUS the cost of the recall, PLUS the class action lawsuit already being talked about against them, PLUS any potential golden handshakes to owners after the recall makes their cars perform much much worse.

It pretty much couldn't be any worse for an auto manufacturer. At least with the japanese airbag issue, they could blame a third party manufacturer, this is all on VW's head.

Say goodbye to those F1 team hopes!

Yeah - I think this might force a major U turn on the F1 deal to buy out Red Bull. Certainly be interesting to watch the fallout of this.

South Korean officials are on about now testing a range of other VW vehicles, and of course vehicles from other manufacturers.. this might be an extremely widespread behaviour so the auto industry could be in for a massive pummelling.

13% off the share price already!!

The thing here is the officials know that all manufacturers are at it. VW however are bigger than most and so have the most to gain from doing it and most to lose getting caught.

The conspiracy theorists will also point out that American makes will also be doing it but will probably avoid issues as the US will protect its own. Its all a bit of a joke when you consider the average American car is about a 6L V8 that produces 12BHP at 13mpg.

Will be interesting to see how VW recovers and if VW USA exists as a separate company protecting the VW group.

My guess is VW will be the first of many

I expect VW is the tip of the iceberg and many other manufacturers will have similar issues. It reminds me of my old MGB, when that went for its MOT my garage tuned it to meet the emissions requirements. Once it had passed they re-tuned it so it could actually be driven in the real world.

VW of America will be a separate company to the main VW company (same as how VWUK are a seperate company to VW proper!) I'll certainly be keeping a close eye on it, for obvious reasons, but also because I'm curious as to quite who will be given up for the slaughter!

I don't know what the problem is, governments set targets so companies do whatever they can to meet the targets, pretty ingenious to detect the car is in a test rig situation though. There was a time when only specially prepared examples were sent for testing, making them even further from the real production vehicles people buy.

It's no worse than test images and showroom settings on big screen TV's.

At the end of the day if you are going to buy a new car anyone with any sense will find some independent reviews first, would you select a hotel these days from one glossy brochure picture??

There is a big issue about Governments favouring CO2 emissions over particulates, but then again that's only a result the EU setting emission targets for our government!

I for one am ****ed off that the drop in resale values on modern VW cars will cause a drop in value of my Corrado by almost £1. The barstards.

(I think it's actually worse that people think I wrote "f .. ed off" above, than what I really wrote. I love censorship..)

I don't think the comparison of TVs in shops running in demo-mode is quite comparable to this case of deliberate fraud, messing with the environment, and deliberately misleading the public. None of that really happens or has just grave consequences with the example of say TVs running in demo mode.

This case has real impact on people's car values now, too.

No, I don't think the German government are going to do anything about it other than a bit of sword rattling (just to keep the public at ease), because in Germany every 6th job is related to the car industry, so there is too much at stake. The German government were fully aware of defeat software, just hadn't expected (naive) it to be in active use.

Tempest

They are all doing it, and have been for years, the better performing diesel engines are not only the most in demand and so sell well but also the most polluting. Just wait until they clock the the BMW 2.0 diesel engine as well. It all boils down to greed & not giving a **** about the environment, the test has always been a 'lets see what we can get away with' joke for the manufacturers and wasn't taken as seriously as it should have been simply because it got in the way of profit. However, the EU regulations themselves are a joke, very geared to help the car industry. The car industry is just as bad as the banking industry, rife with deals and underhand tactics. When large money is dealt, people take big risks, I'm glad they've been found out, I hope the rest of them do as well. Rant over.

Does any one know the emission values that these cars were meant to produce and what the figure is that vw are getting slapped for? Can't find anything on the Internet and I bet it still better than a lot of vehicles on the road!

What I find amazing is that the engine is made separately to the rest of the car and the engineers with the remit of making an eco vehicle pretty much decide lets go to the pub and lie!

Not a surprise in the slightest. Big businesses deceiving the public, who'd have thought it?

Well hopefully this debacle will help expedite the demise of feckin diesel, full stop. Miss-sold to the public as clean, particulate filters, crazy pump prices (until recently), DMFs, ridiculous bills for failed swirl flaps and injectors, higher list price than petrol equiv etc etc..... what a catastrophic waste of money a diesel powered car is, in every respect. There isn't even a performance advantage anymore. Petrol turbos now clobber TDIs for midrange grunt and aren't that far off the mpgs either, for comparative performance.

Meh. VW will just get a corporate wrist slapping and move on from it. Winterkorn should have been made to stay and sort it out, rather than shiftily sneaking out the back door with a big pay off and letting someone else sort the cr@p out.

That video DOX is so funny :lol:

Yeah VW shouldn't have done what they did, and yes it's a kick in the nuts for them, but they'll come back from this once all the issues have been rectified, and all the bad news has died down it'll then be pushed under the carpet and forgotten about, just like everything else is.

Si