Dox

Bye bye edition 38 forum

Edition 38 closed down their forum yesterday, its a sobering thought that such a well known forum has gone leaving only their representation on fb and Instagram.

Use the forum or one day this could our forum too?

Yes, i worry the CF might not be here in the future, facebook is ok, but no where near as good as a forum for technical help.

Wow, we are one of the last still running.

I have no plans to shut it down, but do need to find a way to keep it running well.

Facebook borgs everything. Useless platform for everything, and yet it marches on. Resistance is futile.

I use instagram but not facebook. Instagram is great for pics but useless for technical assistance.

There is so much information on this forum to lose it.

Considering E38 was for any VAG branded vehicle with a smattering of BMW, Porsches and Mercs, our backs are against the wall, we need to generate traffic

Always preferred a forum to FB (too much ephemeral stuff flying by and needless repetition) - the bulletin board model always worked best for retaining and sharing knowledge.

But when I started getting into older VAG cars like the Golf, quattro and Corrado there were only message boards and you had to put a bit of work into them to get anything back. Nowadays someone will just check to see if there is a group on FB and assume that't it and be happy with it.

The photo issue a really a question of storage costing money - FB are happy to front this because they have all your data and can target adds and resell that information in return. Free photo archive site were never going to last, so we would need to look at how to provide storage space without allowing cross-linking.

Getting something like Tapatalk working again would be a huge help in getting users back on the forum, although I've found you can always post a pic on the forum with the attachment feature provided it's not too large.

Sad news indeed.....Easy posting pictures from tapatalk, maybe get this site working in tapatalk again just a thought....

Edited by Dogma

I'm not a massive poster but I will never use facebook nor instagram. It will be a sad day if this forum closes. I get a lot of inspiration and motivation from many of the new and original threads (and thank you for that).

Is it a question of money, time or other interests that may affect the lifetime of this forum?

I’ve never been a very prolific poster, my post count compared with membership time will vouch for that! However there’s hardly ever a day goes by that I don’t read the forum. What do we need to do to ensure we don’t go the way of Ed38?

Edition 38 closed down their forum yesterday, its a sobering thought that such a well known forum has gone leaving only their representation on fb and Instagram.

Use the forum or one day this could our forum too?

Blimey O'Reilly didn't imagine that forum to close it's doors, I remember looking on there regularly before I became a member on here in 2013

I agree we do need regular members on this great forum to keep the traffic flowing so to speak.

Regarding Tapatalk that seems to be dead in the water, it's been playing up big time since 2015, before that it worked really well and you could upload photos.

Unfortunately Tapatalk is now a weak link that needs cutting out.

Si

Edited by vw rule

I'm not a user of FB or other social media so always check this forum and hope for some activity. Most days I'm disappointed but will always keep looking.

I would post more often but have no good tech knowledge to share or help sadly.

Edited by mooG60

Writing as a prolific reader and only occasional poster; I think the forum's quality and scale of content is it's apparant demise. I can't think of a time I've run into a problem I couldn't get steer on from an old thread, negating the need for new - despite no lack of desire to engage with my fellow masochists.

Can only offer that non-car chat and threads like "chufties" are what will keep the traffic up? Dunno. Please don't leave

I’m on here every day without fail, unfortunately I have zero technical knowledge of how the behind the scenes stuff works. I definitely agree that the ability to easily post a picture is imperative as often a description can be baffling where a picture shows things much better. Plus, who doesn’t like watching a project come together?

To be honest it doesn't really surprise me, edition has always been that place you see 100 threads a day in general chat alone, talking about rubbish and the members rides full of people that will spend £15k on their car in 6 months then break it and never to be seen again. It was the fashionable place to be, but I'm guessing required a hell of a lot of moderating meanwhile the likes of facebook do the moderating for you at no cost.

Places like this might be quiet but will always be full of info and worthwhile chat, not the 100th thread that day asking "how do I 1.8t my car". I think all forums will eventually go quiet as cars get older and people sell up but most members on here have been here for years so are fairly loyal.

To be honest it doesn't really surprise me, edition has always been that place you see 100 threads a day in general chat alone, talking about rubbish and the members rides full of people that will spend £15k on their car in 6 months then break it and never to be seen again. It was the fashionable place to be, but I'm guessing required a hell of a lot of moderating meanwhile the likes of facebook do the moderating for you at no cost.

Places like this might be quiet but will always be full of info and worthwhile chat, not the 100th thread that day asking "how do I 1.8t my car". I think all forums will eventually go quiet as cars get older and people sell up but most members on here have been here for years so are fairly loyal.

Spot on. That’s what I love about this place - I go missing for months on end but when I come back it’s still the same people that have been on here for years, still helping people out sometimes years after they sold up keeping the place ticking over.

Edition 38 was decent in the beginning but ended up full of faces and wannabe faces. I lost count of the number of times I got banned for not towing the scene line over there :D

I still have a look in here most days but I'm not a big poster I just enjoy lurking!

As others have said I hope this forum does not go the same way as edition as it holds a wealth of knowledge not only with the old content but the clued up members

I did find a app for uploading pics I shall update my members gallery and see if it works

I still check in every now and then, even though I sold up a few years back. I'll always be a massive Corrado fan so it's nice to check out the latest build threads and whatnot, although it has slowed down a bit as of late. Maybe I should update mine :lol: there'll be zero Corrado content though.

As for ED38... I rarely ever posted there, but I did buy a lot of decent parts over the years, so it's a shame it has gone.

Wow, we are one of the last still running.

I have no plans to shut it down, but do need to find a way to keep it running well.

Good to hear, buddy.

Let's talk offline if there's anything I can do to help.

I'm still on here most days but like everyone else iv slowed down a bit as most of my time gets taken up by our house!! Always a job to be on with

Saying that I do still tinker about with the corrado and do have updates I could put in my build thread but the lack of an easy way to upload pics makes it a bit of a pointless task in a way, I always liked to describe what I was up to and then post the progress pics for people to read and see

I think I stopped when tapa talk give up and I had to mess around resizing photos

It is a great place like it just needs more people to keep it busy

Been Corrado-less for a few years now but I look in here every day as part of my morning coffee routine. (Staying away from the classifieds though, too much temptation.) This is a great forum with wonderful members whose assistance to me was invaluable, particularly on a couple of occasions when I was ready to break the car. Even on non Corrado problems including the infamous ant infestation. Long may it continue.

Oh good this forum is back up and running. I haven't been back since the recent issues (although did try during the time!). Shame about edition38.

Tapatalk would get this forum a wider audience... It's the only one I look at that I can't see via tapatalk. I find tapatalk brings everything together and it's easier to post and see traffic across all forums.

Oh one other thing I haven't been able to find out - what happened to all of the photos on the old threads? Makes how to's and historial browsing of old readers rides disappointing :(