coullstar

Green 24v VR - new wheels are here

Is that at the same rolling road you always use?

No but this is well known for being spot on. Just had a loo through Stan's old thread and my car is basically 15bhp and 20fllbs down on his car all the way up.

Power at the wheels was 172bhp.

So it's down on power on the 'at the wheels' figure too? The CAT will slow your gas speeds quite a lot, so that could be choking the engine a little.

Funnily thats about the same as Stans car ATW but his was showing a about a 60bhp loss where as mine is 40bhp. I relise the cat would make a difference but as I said the torque figure is less that stock figures of 199lbft.

Drove in there today at about 11am to see if there was any fixing/fastener places and noticed there was a sqaud of motors..

I was in the 4mo (standard), could have compared it

Just noticed this....

Your new wheels are nice but your car looked so much better on the gunmetal Team Dynamics imo. Would have better if you had the ProRace 1s instead 1.2s though, but imo that's the best combo for a green C :D

As for the power being down, are there any fault codes?

I think 13:1 is a shade too rich for the 2.8 at that power level imo. You can afford to go leaner than that without much, if any knock activity, but that might be down to a duff lambda or something rather than the mapping. For comparison, the BMW S50 engine's (E46 M3) runs 13.4 AFR at full throttle.

on the second picture i see a nice graph of flywheel power passing well off the 200hp mark, which correlates qutie well with around 170 wheels hp.

I see no problem?

The problem is his torque is lower than it should be and because power is the product of torque x distance, his power is therefore lower than it should be also.

It's not a million miles off mind..... could just be very conservative correction software, or a bit of wheel slip, excessive coast down losses etc etc....

Really don't take much notice of rolling roads :lol:

Too many variables for it ever to be spot on. What you need to do is take your engine out and stick it on a Dyno :wink: :grin:

I think you can generally just feel if your engine is running right or not. You can feel if it is down on power or if there are any flat spots etc

Matt

Cheers guys. The engine runs ok and certainly pulls well so Im not overly concernced but I know at least two 4motion Golfs that have been on that dyno in similar conditions that have come out 235bhp with the same remap so I know its not quite right. No point paying all this money and it not being right. Ive always thought it was running a tad rich which could be down to the CC map which was set up for the decat. Thats why Im getting Stealth to look at it.

6spd should be fitted at the same time there looking at it, only really come about and deal done in the last 2 days. Expensive day for me that will be.. :shock:

6spd should be fitted at the same time there looking at it, only really come about and deal done in the last 2 days. Exepnsive day for me that will be.. :shock:

Be a nice day though! :grin:

Well these things are never easy..few problems with getting the kit then all wasnt well after it was fitted. I had to get up the road so old gearbox was refitted to get me mobile however the issue was found and it should be a fairly easy fix. Didnt even get time for a remap but it did pull slightly more on Stealths rollers than before. Vince reckons there is room for improvement and they did get everything done sharpish.

Aux water pump has packed in and the engine is sitting at a slight angle from the way PSI did the conversion which will need sorted before thinking about the gearbox is fitted. Few other little things that Im not happy about, again it seems to be the way PSI did things.

On a positive note I did manage to get 400miles from a tankfull sitting at 80-90mph but it gave me time to think as a few things have occured recently that put things into perspective. Might take it of the road over winter and trying to sort everything and just sell the box on now.

curious to know more about the engine sitting at an angle you were not expecting - in what way?

you should be able to get away without the aux pump for a while btw - i only realised when chatting to Kev this week that its often ditched on VRTs...

Yeah its probably been like that for a while. More annoyed to do with the fact is was loose and not attached to anything. The way the engine has been mounted, to clear the bonnet I presume, means that it tilts the left. This wont help the two bearings on the new casing so Id like to sort that before putting the box in. Its shouldnt be to hard but it did seems a bit of a bodge way of doing it from what I saw. Need a new sump fitted as well as its taken a few hits and is starting to weep.

Not the best to spend the best part of £1k and Im further back than where I started at the moment. At least I know whats needing done. Whats the saying, it never rains......

:( you sound pretty gutted and I'm not surprised.

What's the issue with the bonnet clearance? Is it due to the 24v manifold sitting too high?

Yeah manifold sits a bit higher but I didnt realise they had modified the rear mount on the subframe. They may not have but I dont see why it would have been done before the conversion.