dukest

The Tyre Discussion Thread - please read 1st post

Depends on width of tyre Chris, but 40 profile should be used to keep the rolling radius as close to stock as possible. Which will keep your speedo more accurate.

Cheers Sean was just just thinking that on way in to work

Always had 45 on my 16s

So automatically thought 45 but you are right will go for 40

Sure I will either be 225 or 215 width wise. Thinking about trying both to se how they fit and sit

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk

Not just the speedo, the more rolling radius you add the slower the car will be. The car will be slower just from increasing the size of the wheels on its own without any additional help.

I stuck a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4s onto the Golf a month or so ago and they are superb tyres! Anyone running 17s might want to give them a whirl. Should be available in 205/40 by now I would have thought.

Morning all, Just about to sort some new tyres out for the vr, its running on the standard wheels, so been looking at the 205/50/15 bridgestone RE002 that everyone seems to rave about. Theyll be for summer use only as it gets to wear its winter wheels for the colder months (with vredstein snowtrac 3 on if anyone is interested. Been very impressed with them through the colder weather) if that makes any difference. Just wanted to see if anyone had anything better to recommend what with how fast these manufacturers bring out new tyres etc!!

Cheers,

Pete

Great tyre choice, but have you considered 195/50/15 instead? If you're changing all 4, it offers a considerable saving as not many manufacturers make 205/50/15 anymore, and as such they're quite expensive. I believe the majority now run the slightly narrower tyre no no discernible difference in grip level even when "pushing on".

Great tyre choice, but have you considered 195/50/15 instead? If you're changing all 4, it offers a considerable saving as not many manufacturers make 205/50/15 anymore, and as such they're quite expensive. I believe the majority now run the slightly narrower tyre no no discernible difference in grip level even when "pushing on".

No i hadnt, thats interesting, thanks. Funnily enough, the Vredesteins are actually 195 i think (ill check when i get home) so god knows WHY i hadnt thought of it!! Like you say, the cost saving is actually fairly significant too. Anyone got any negative experiences of running a slightly narrower tyre??

So interestingly, the Vredesteins are actually 195/55/15, so a tiny bit more sidewall than standard. Drives nicely, and grips well though, currently on (renewed) standard suspension. This isnt actually relevent to my current dilemma, but thought id put it up here in case anyone else was wondering about running simmilar!!

55! Doesn't that feel a tad mushy in the corners?

Personally I loved the old balloon look of the 205/50s and it's a right pain in the back side they're being phased out. Damn people and their vanity for huge wheels these days!

55! Doesn't that feel a tad mushy in the corners?

Nope, drives lovely!! although, to be fair, the last time it was on 'normal tyres' it had a right pick and mix going on, so i guess its not really a fair comparison. Also, bear in mind its on standard (albiet updated) suspension, so the ride is fairly 'comfy' anyway compared with many on here!!

Anyhow, Ive ordered some 195/50/15 RE002 as suggested, some £20/corner cheaper than the 205's!! Hopefully theyll live to up the hype!! :)

Hi guys , can anyone tell me if Mr Lobitos is still on the forum and supplying tyres ? A pm hasn’t received any response .

Mr L , if you are there , can you please advise , I am after re002s 205/50/15 but it appears these are no longer available and the only 15 inch available are 195/50/15 .Is this correct?

What price can you do these for ? Or what is the best alternative .

Thanks , Dave

I think the RE002 could well be out of production. I bought the last one in 205/40/17 the other week. When I was looking, there is an RE003 but it wasn't available in the uk at the time

I think the RE002 could well be out of production. I bought the last one in 205/40/17 the other week. When I was looking, there is an RE003 but it wasn't available in the uk at the time

I've been trying to get hold of these without success. I phoned Bridgestone today and the technical team said they had gone out of production and there were no replacements planned. They suggested a couple of wholesalers but they appear to all be gone.

Hey guys,

Just bought another Corrado and want to stay with 205/50/r15. Always had re002 in this size but in 2019 tyre options seem a bit limited.

Are there any good tyres left in this size preferably with a sidewall stiffness the same as the re002's?

Thanks mate. I tried Toyo proxes and it felt like the car had marshmallows on!

Do the Uniroyal Rainsports have stiff sidewalls?

Not sure - I have stretched Michelin Pilot Sport 195/50/15 on the Corrado at the moment and don't like them much - just fitted two Uni Rainsports to the front of my wife's Touran recently and it feels very solid and planted

I'll be going back to 205/50/15 for sure next time.

I had rainsports on a Golf 8 years ago, the sidewalls when removed from the rim were very flimsy in comparison to most similar tyres, go to a tyre place and ask to handle them and compare.

Hi, I've got a couple of uniroyal rainsports on the front (Bridgestones ont the back). They grip well and don't feel soft to drive on. Limited experience to compare against on the Corrado but I did have the Bridgestones up front and the Uniroyals at the rear for a while and don't notice any difference.

That said uniroyals are known for having a softer tyre wall, however reviews and experiences read elsewhere state the compliance helps when pushing on in real life vs overly stiff tyres, Give them a try? There is not much choice these days.

Edited by pfnsht

Looking for some 205 45 16 tyres. They seem to be a lot more expensive than others for either 15s or 17s egv195 50 50, 205 50 15 and 205 40 17. Any experience with 195 50 16 or anything similar? Wheels are 7J

Thanks 

Hasan

I’ve just bought and fitted (this week from Camskill) Vredstein Ultrac in a 205 / 45 / 16 for the 16 x 7J Borbet C fitted to the 8v:

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b0s344p0/Car_Tyres_-_MPV_Tyres_-_People_Carrier_Tyres_-_16_inch_R16_inch_-_205_45_16_205_45R16

I’ve run Uniroyal rainsport for what feels like forever, and have always been very happy with them. I just fancied a change.

They have a better energy rating and also a lower decibel figure. The reviews were also very positive.

Added to the recent acoustic treatment of the 8v, I’m looking forward to a slightly quieter cabin.

As an aside, the recess / kerbing lip is slightly more pronounced. But not offensive. I’ve just had the wheels refurbished, so I see this as nothing but a helpful feature.

Edited by James.

I've got Vredesteins fitted to the tt comps which are 17s and ive been really pleased with them, prob a good logical choice for 16s, so thanks for the reference to them.

I think it's probably time to sell the tt comps now...

I had Vredesteins and found them to be great. Only changed to something else as locally they stopped supplying them. 

I still ask for them when ever I need some new tyres

To me  Bridgestone Adrenalins  were the best tires I ever fitted on my g60, best grip ever, too bad they don't make them anymore, so I am now with Michelin Pilots,  more quite  but not as sticky in the dry as the Adrenalins. Pilots are also better in the rain but don't take it out in rain anyway, only if  it happens when I'm out.

Edited by g6089

Well I'm still looking at 16 inch tyres! The 215 40 16 seem more readily available than 205 45 16. Anyone run them and any discernible differences? Looking at the vreds again or toyo tr-1. But any other good recommendations are appreciated

Edited by fla